Compiling to MultiMarkDown and .mobi?

I’m brand new to Scrivener and also to MultiMarkDown. I saw a video yesterday of someone using multiple tools to accomplish what I believe Scrivener can do alone.

Basically, I want to be able to write the article in Scrivener with MarkDown, then export it with the MarkDown formatting in Kindle format. Is this possible?

In the video, he wrote the article in another MultiMarkDown app, saved it, and converted it from MultiMarkDown format to .mobi using Calibre.

Is this necessary, or can I somehow do all of this with Scrivener?

Thanks!

Unless you use only very simple Markdown: bold and italics, it’s not possible with Scrivener, unfortunately. There is a checkbox in the Transformations compile pane for simple bold and italics, everything else will end up as visible code. I would check out Pandoc. The MMD that Scrivener creates is Pandoc compatibile, meta-data aside (easy to dodge as you can create your own meta-data in Pandoc format by putting a file called “Meta-Data” at the very top of the Draft, and type however you want into it). It’s still a post-Scrivener project though.

As an aside, I wouldn’t recommend Calibre for creating the .mobi file. You should definitely go .epub and then use KindleGen or Kindle Previewer to convert it. Calibre won’t create a KF8 part, which is the future of the format.

Thanks for the reply. I’m not sure I fully understand.

I know I can write the MMD in Scrivener. Are you saying that I can’t view it in Scrivener or I can’t export it from Scrivener?

What I need is relatively simple, I believe. I don’t need a table of contents or anything like that, because I’m writing separate documents for each lesson I am teaching. I just want to get it as effortlessly as possibly from Scrivener (using MMD) to an ebook on my Kindle.

I have used the Send to Kindle app before, but I believe it only uses .mobi.

I’m saying it is not possible to write in a Markdown dialect in Scrivener and use its built-in Mobi compile converter. Well you can, but you’ll have visible codes all over the place. It’s a rich text feature.

However, it’s very easy to create an ePub file out of a Markdown file, which Scrivener is good at making easy to make. So you write in Scrivener using the Pandoc Markdown dialect (it’s very similar to MMD), and if you wish you can take advantage of some of Scrivener’s features to generate some of that, like section headings, images and footnotes. Like I say, all of that is Pandoc compatible. When you’re ready to compile, you do so to plain “MultiMarkdown” format—you’ll be using Pandoc to turn it into an e-book but that is fine. You run that text file through Pandoc, get an ePub file, open that in Kindle Previewer, and there is your Mobi file. It will create one for you in the same folder as the ePub.

Here is more info on Pandoc’s ePub converter.

I got it. Thank you The only way to use Pandoc is by using the commands in terminal, correct? I was able to make it work, but I wondered if there was another way other than through command prompt. Thanks again.

I’m not aware of anything like a front-end for Pandoc, no. But command-line means you can easily automate the process with a little scripting knowledge. Or even without that, maybe something with Hazel.