Compiling With Footnotes v3.01

Hi,

After reading a kindle book with footnotes, I decided that was the way to go with my revamped book as it allows a reader to access additional information or just skip it and keep reading. So I edited my opening chapter to include footnotes.

However, when I compiled it … no footnotes. I’m guessing this is just user error but what do I have to do to get footnotes in my mobi documents?

Thanks

James

Did you check in the general Options tab (gear icon) on the right side of the compile overview screen, to make sure footnotes are included?

Hi,

Did you check in the general Options tab (gear icon) on the right side of the compile overview screen, to make sure footnotes are included?

I didn’t but checking now I can see that “Remove Footnotes” is unchecked by default.

James

That’s the only oddity I can think of, afraid to say. The whole thing is fairly straight-forward. Here’s a simple list test project (152KB; Zip) for you to look at, which uses both of Scrivener’s methods for adding footnote text. Maybe take a look at that and see if anything strikes you as different from what you’re doing.

Thanks. It’s 10pm here so I’ll take a look at that tomorrow :slight_smile:

James

Hi Amber,

Maybe something I’m doing wrong but the link to the “simple list test project” doesn’t seem to work.

James

Give that another try, the link wasn’t formatted properly.

Got it, thanks :slight_smile:

James

Hi Amber,

That worked but do you know if there’s a way to either change the link so it becomes a specific text (rather than just “1”, “2", etc.) or can maybe link to a section of text. For example, the Section A link “[La athran velar ti arka gronk fli irpsa prinquis ju ozlint sernag, erk nix morvit xi ozlint srung?]” is there in the Scrivener text but appears in the kindle book text as a linked superscript “1” after that text where I was hoping I could directly link a word to a footnote.

I am previewing using Amazon Kindle Previewer 3

James

I think overall that would be more difficult than it is worth putting the time into. There will be some ways to get close to that in time, but it’s worth noting they would no longer be footnotes (meaning your readers would lose the convenient pop-up feature where applicable) and getting the reader back to the spot they came from would be dependent upon their knowledge of how most ereaders have a Back button, rather than having circular links.

Thanks Amber,

I assume you’re talking about word/phrase links, does that apply to the renaming the links as well? In “Good Omens” (Pratchett/Gaiman) they named the footnote links “fn1”, “fn2” … “fn15” etc.

Is that possible?

James

I may have misread what you intended, as it sounded like you wanted the footnotes to link from the relevant phrases of the sentence rather than as a numeral.

Now if all you want to do is prefix the letters ‘fn’ to every footnote marker in the text, that is something you could do with CSS naturally—and since all of these markers and labels are given a common CSS class, it would be easy to make that adjustment.

Other settings are available in the Footnotes & Comments compile format pane.

Haha! I mean sure, I can do a website with HTML and even some PHP but CSS is something I can only do with difficulty; feels like I have to relearn it every time I do some scripting.

It’s a great little skill to pick up if you’re looking to make your ebooks something special. An ebook is a lot like a self-contained website in the first place, so you’re already a big step ahead.

As for this one, here’s how I would do it:

.fn-marker:before, .fn-label:before {
    content: "fn";
}

That will prefix both the marker in the body text and the marker label in the Notes section with “fn”. You can just paste that in the “Custom CSS” column, in the CSS compile format pane.

So…

I’m going to sound stupid here but where do I find the “Custom CSS” column or the “CSS compile format pane”. As far as I can tell, it involves me creating a new format but I kinda got a bit lost after that.

James

Yeah, you’re on the right path, though I wouldn’t recommend creating a whole new Format from scratch just for this, you can double-click on the standard “Ebook” format to duplicate and edit it—so you’d have this variant that prints footnotes differently, and otherwise works just like the stock settings.

Once you’ve done that, it should be straightforward where to go.

I’ve tried that but still can’t find the relevant column/pane.

That said, you’ve helped a great deal already and just having the footnotes is brilliant, so thank you :slight_smile:

James

So when you edit the “Ebook” format you get a window that pops up, which is the format design interface. In that is a list of categories in the left sidebar, one of which will read “CSS”. To the right of the sidebar will be a sample paragraph at the top, which drives the default body text formatting for the ebook. Below that you will find two columns, “Custom Stylesheet” and “Default Stylesheet”. The left side is editable, and that is where you would paste the provided CSS example.

Hi Amber,

Thanks for that, I get it now (should have said so earlier) :slight_smile:

James