Compiling with the wrong images

This is an URGENT problem. If anyone has a solution tonight… awesome… but after tomorrow mid-day-ish, sadly any help will only be for future situtations.

So, I just compiled my midterm notes. I tried as a pdf, as a .doc, and as a .odt, both with and without over-riding the formatting (for the headers), however, it’s mixing up images and putting them in the wrong place. For example, mixing and matching images, and there does not seem to be any logical explanation for how it’s happening (it’s not always the next image, etc). I copy pasted the images in from the clipboard (using the snipping tool in order to grab equations off of the slides). Now, because these are equations, it’s VERY important that the right image is in the right place… or variable definitions and explanations are not going to make sense. I was supposed to send these notes to a friend who’s helped me a lot, but I definitely can’t do so with how they are currently compiling (I was also hoping to put this on my kobo for convenient studying).

I could go back through and re-enter all the images in openoffice, that that’s effectively doubling my work… in which case I almost might as well not even use scrivener. Any help please?

Looking back at this (and I don’t have the time to fix it now… unless there’s a very easy way to access ALL of the image names within each text file), is that the images were NOT given unique names when they were pasted into the file. So now I have to go in and rename a good 20-30+ images. Very annoying.

If it is not too late CrystalKitten:

Yes the Snipping tool is very useful but defaults to the filename “Capture”.

I suggest you set up a folder for all your image files, and make a careful note of this location.

If you have many more scrivener files than images, then to make it easy to find each image, I recomment adding a keyword (e.g. “Image”) to each scrivener document that needs attention. Then you can search for the keyword and make a saved collection.
Now use the Collection to display only the files needing attention in the binder.

Then For each image you could
“Select”
"Open in external editor " (in my case Free Irfranview)
“save as” and use unambiguous name that identifies where in the text it should be.
Then save the image to the images folder you established earlier.

When you have done this for all the images
Go back to Scrivener
select each image (very easy to find via your “Images” collection.
“Edit”
“Inset”
“Image from File” Browse to the correct filename
“Open”

and repeat for all.
You are probably thinking that this is long and complicated, but it is a solution that is robust. I had your problem with 32 images

richard

Sadly, this is just too complicated for making exam notes. If I was doing something more formal, I could use this method. The snipping tool is NECESSARY when taking images off of school slides (and the images aren’t available elsewhere, they are often created by the professor), because even if you copy paste the image from the pdf (if it’s even possible), they are often MASSIVE. While I could take a snip, save the snip, and then re-open it, this creates a LOT of clutter on my hard drive that should be unnecessary. There is already a LOT of clutter, and I’m actually trying to work on reducing it. I suppose I just find it annoying that with this method, I have to chose between being able to easily navigate sections while I study, or eliminating unnecessary image clutter. I personally have started to love using scrivener for exam notes… it’s a LOT easier to organize data when the profs sometimes put things out of order (like taking 3 slides to explain R code in the middle of a concept… Just have to click between the content and R code files, and takes far less trouble navigating. It’s also very hand with the split screen… Content in one window, with the relating equations in another. Or maybe equations from two different units/sections had variables in common and I need to compare, etc).

I actually pinned the problem exactly and emailed in a bug report. When you paste in an image, it uses the default name, but appends a number. This works, as long as you only have ONE file in your project (which kind of eliminates the point of using Scrivener rather than open office), as when you paste into a new file, it resets the number count. Not sure how much of the naming is on scrivener’s end, but even if they can’t keep the count the same for the entire project, maybe they could append, say, the first 4 letters of the file’s current name to the image? I’d even be cool with a “paste image as…” option… where immediately upon pasting it pops up the image properties for you to fill out. Saves a few clicks, and ensures that you don’t forget anything… but I’m not sure how doable any of this is. I don’t know. For now, I just have to remember to manually rename all the images, which when you have almost 50 images gets rather annoying.

Thanks for the tip though. For things like writing actual papers, I will likely use a method like this, but in those cases I will already have the images created, and saved to my hard drive for reference purposes. I just don’t want to save 50 equation images that would have no context outside of the file or slides (equations and me don’t get along).

I just scanned this thread quickly, so apologies if I’ve missed something.

Two thoughts:
If the Windows Snipping tool isn’t working out, how about Scrivener’s ScratchPad instead? Tools | Scratch Pad, make a new note then use the little hand button to do a screen grab, then the Grab Area with Mouse button and you can draw out a rectangle to make a screen grab of only what you want. Then you can send the file to Scrivener and have it appended to whatever document you like.

I don’t know if that’ll help with the naming issue, but in Scriv, right-click on the image | Edit Image and you can give it a new name. Hmm… that’s probably more or less the same thing as you’re already doing but until that naming issue you’ve described gets fixed then I don’t see much alternative.

Edit: Nevermind, I just tried it with the ScratchPad and it looks like both test images I imported into the document ended up with the name “Screen Grab”, so the second one overwrote the first. And a similar result when Snipping first to Scapple and then dragging into Scriv.