Compiling wrong range

I checked the boxes from Ch 39 to 74 so it would compile this range and print it. Instead, the print interface came up and it had compiled chapters 1-37. I have included a couple of screen shots. Why is this occurring and what is the fix? [attachment=0]Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 9.55.23 AM.png[/attachment][attachment=1]Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 9.56.12 AM.png[/attachment]
Thank you.

Uncheck “Treat compile group as complete manuscript” in the first screenshot. That box causes Scrivener to number the sections as if the first chapter you include were Chapter One.

Katherine

Ok, I did that. But it didn’t change anything. It was still off. This time, the print window showed it would print from Ch 47 to Ch 83. I went ahead and printed to see what it would do. The body of the chapters was correct. The program applied the wrong chapter numbers. It goes from 47 to 83. But I only have 74 chapters. Interestingly, with each of the glitches, the print window always showed it would print 126 pages.
How do I fix the problem of it printing the right chapters but mislabeling the chapters. This is costing me a lot of time. All I wanted to do is print my darn novel.
Thank you for your help. [attachment=0]Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 8.26.12 AM.png[/attachment][attachment=1]Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 8.27.53 AM.png[/attachment][attachment=1]Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 8.27.53 AM.png[/attachment]

How do you want to number the chapters? Starting with #1, or starting with wherever you are in the Binder?

The short answer is it looks like Scrivener is automatically numbering the chapters (incorrectly) rather than using the titles you’ve supplied in the Binder. If you want to use the Binder titles instead, edit the Section Layout to do so. (See Section 24.2 in the manual.) If you want automatic numbering, you’ll need to tell Scrivener where to start.

Katherine

I’m sorry, I thought I had worded my question clearly.
I ran out of ink printing from start to finish. I had to go back and print the last portion from Chapter 39 to 74. The chapters are enumerated plainly and I checked each one from 39 to 74 so Scrivener would know which ones to print. It did not work properly. I have printed a selection in the past and it worked fine. So, I don’t know why it is confused when I plainly checked which chapters to print.
I reviewed 24.2 and I don’t see how it relates to the question. Maybe it’s me but I don’t see it.
Please advise,… what are the steps to take in order for this program to simply print the selected chapters in correct order?

If the chapter is named “Chapter 39” in the Binder, but is actually the 43rd chapter-level document, then the text that appears in the output document will change depending on whether you have chosen to use the Binder title or to have Scrivener number the chapters for you. The Section Layout settings, explained in Section 24.2 of the manual, are how you tell Scrivener which you want.

Katherine

If you can output the whole manuscript correctly, why not do that, but instead of sending it directly to your printer, send it to PDF instead. You can then open the PDF and print just the range of pages that are needed.