COMPLETE DELETION OF PROJECT

I think Scriener may have a bug but I’m not sure. The last few times I’ve opened Scrivener it have erased all (the first time) of my manuscript or all but three chapter and I’ve had to spends days upon days putting it back INTO the program. What can I do to resolve this and be assured that this will no longer happen? Has anyone else had this problem? So far its happened to me twice. The first time it erased EVERYTHING (MS, files, notes…ect.) it was like I had opened a brand new project only I hadn’t. #2 everything was gone except for a few things here and there. Im beyond angry because up until now I have had 0 issues but now Im terrified of using it for fear that this will continue to happen :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

The only time I’ve had any issues similar to yours is with Templates, files that got messed up (like, Scrivener files saving into Scrivener files somehow, for some reason), or when I’ve stupidly had the project open on two computers while using Dropbox.

For the time being, I’d suggest compiling your entire project to a .doc or .rtf before closing out. You can include your Research folder, too. It’d compile your research folder texts before your manuscript, but at least that’d give you a kind of backup. You could even try compiling your Research and your Manuscript separately if you wanted.

Sorry I can’t be more help. :frowning: Hopefully someone with more knowledge or answers to this issue will step in, but until then, maybe my idea will at least give you some peace of mind if you want to keep using the program.

It’s now safely in Word. NOW my issue is importing it with scenes but you CAN’T so looks like I’ll have do it manually AGAIN :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: What makes me mad the MOST is that this is the FIRST time this has ever happened and I’ve been using it for like two years

The easiest way is going to be to import the whole thing and then CTRL+K (I think is the shortcode) to make each scene its own text. Time consuming and annoying, but it’s the only way I can think of to accomplish what you’re after.

I’m really sorry about your work and that you’re having problems, though. :frowning: I know how frustrating that is. Are you using Dropbox or a similar service? Is it possible something went wrong there?

If no one responds here with help, I think the Literature and Latte folks have a support email somewhere. They may not be able to fix your problem, but they may be able to give you some insight into the issue so you can, hopefully, avoid it happening again.

Will cross my fingers and hope you don’t run into any more troubles!

I use Google Docs as a backup and now Word as my backup for my backup lol) and have just assumed that they were two separate programs and one didn’t have anything to do with the other since this is the first time this has happened in the two years I’ve been using the program. This has got me so twisted around and turned inside out though I guess anything is possible :neutral_face: :neutral_face: And that would be a no on getting a straight answer so far :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Do you mean “Google Drive”? As in a program that monitors a folder on your computer and uploads local changes to your Google Docs/Drive and downloads changes to any google documents that you change in the browser or on another computer?

I ask because combinging Google Drive with actively edited Scrivener projects is recommended against. It does things that work okay for other programs that only have a single document, but with Scrivener projects’ many-files format, it doesn’t always work. I don’t know the details, but I do know that the problems that Google Drive (and MS One Drive/whatever they’re calling it) cause are intermittent. scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … e-advisory

Scrivener’s own automatic backups can be found by going to Tools -> Options -> Backup, and clicking the button to open the backup folder.

As others have noted, this sort of problem is almost always associated with third-party software of some kind. Synchronization errors can cause a mismatch between the local and remote versions of the project. Either the synchronization software “fixes” the error by removing (or renaming) the duplicate file, or the master index that Scrivener uses becomes corrupt so that Scrivener can’t find the “missing” material. Third-party backup and disk cleanup software can cause similar problems by “helpfully” removing “duplicate” files.

You can find some recovery suggestions here:
scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ … c-services

and here:
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/copy-without-annotations-footnotes/161/1

As others have noted, Google Drive in particular is not trustworthy with live projects. I’ve posted some other thoughts on backup strategies here: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/got-a-backup/32512/1

I would strongly recommend that you either start a new project or figure out the problem with this one before doing any further work. While Scrivener in general is pretty stable, this particular project has clearly been damaged in some way. Until you figure out how, it is not safe to use.

Katherine

Its happened AGAIN but this time I’ll give there error code:

An important path from Scrivener has been modified I:FOEVERYOURS.SCRIVE/Files
It is NOT recommended that you modify/copy/paste/delete the project contents or data might be los
t

Keep in mind that I was in the middle of TYPING when this popped up. I have however discovered that my external hard drive may have a short in the cord…could this be the problem?

Yes, that could absolutely be the problem. If the files of a Scrivener project become unavailable, even for a few seconds, it can cause all sorts of issues. Get yourself a good cable, and that should prevent any future issues.

On one hand I agree with you but on the other hand how are Scrivener and my external hard drive even related?

If your project is saved on an external HDD, and you have opened it and currently are working on it, Scrivener is set up to save after every couple seconds, I think 2 seconds is the default. So if your external HDD is faulty, causing the save path to fluxuate, Scrivener can’t save the file every few seconds. Causing the Open Project and the saved Project, to clash and give errors etc. Causing a loss of cohesion between the two states of the Project (Saved to disk, Open in Scrivener for editing, and Saving in Progress).

If this is the case, and it’s due to a faulty cable, causing the external HDD to be unstable, one workaround could be, and I state very tentatively, that this may or may not help, but it could, so give it a try at your own risk.
*edit: I should add, make sure you make a separate (third) copy to a stable drive as well, C:\ Drive, or a usb thumb drive, and leave it alone as an untouched copy, just in case.

First, make a copy of your saved project, store it on the external HDD in a different folder, say I:TestingScriv\ProjectName, pasting your copied project in the TestingScriv folder. Then open Scrivener, open any project, preferably from your C:\ drive, then once it is open, go to windows menu, under file, single left click on Close all Projects.

This is just to make sure, no other projects are open.

Now, Scrivener should have brought you back to the New Project screen, choose to open the copied Project in your TestingScriv folder. Once it’s open, press F12 to open options window. once Options is opened, it should already be displaying the General Options, Under the Saving Section, change the default value of “Save after period of inactivity:” from 2 seconds to 10, 25, 30, 45, 60, 90, 120 seconds, your choice. The constant saving of the project could be too fast for your external HDD read/write speeds with a faulty cable, but maybe, just maybe, increasing this time, will lighten the workload of the external HDD and be a suitable workable interim solution, until your external HDD and your system can be connected together with more stability and reliability.

It’s impossible to save data reliably if the media being saved to is failing. This is true for any software, but doubly true for Scrivener because of the complexity of the project format and the frequency of saves.

Get down to Best Buy (or wherever), buy a cheap removable flash drive, and save your project to that.

Do NO FURTHER WORK until you have either resolved the problem with your external HDD or moved your data to another location.

(Flash drives are great for file transfer or emergency backup, but we don’t recommend them for long term working storage.)

Katherine