Complete list of keyboard shortcuts

Is there a complete list of keyboard shortcuts for Scrivener?

I’ve installed Optimal Layout, a lovely little app that allows you to set your desired layout with a click. However, it seems to have hijacked many of my favourite Scrivener shortcuts, so that when I want to - for instance - move a folder left in the Binder and press cmd-ctrl-left-arrow, the whole window moves to the left. Cmd-alt-R (reveal in Binder) does something fiddly to the Binder, but not what I want.

Optimal Layout’s makers have told me how to find and change their shortcuts one by one, but I’m wondering if it might be better to give them the Scrivener list…

Through the magic of FAQ – just at the top of the page – I can reveal that there is a list here:

scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … -shortcuts

:smiley:

Optimal Layouts shortcuts are bound to clash with all sorts of programs – all of these utilities that sit in the background have the same problem. I use Divvy myself:

macupdate.com/app/mac/33950/divvy

It works very well, and solves some of the shortcut problem by having a two-stage approach (a single shortcut to bring up the main window, then a second shortcut that only operates when the main window is visible, to arrange your OS or application windows).

Martin.

Ah, the FAQ, d’oh. I was looking in Scrivener’s manual. Thanks.

I’ll take a look at Divvy. I’ve sent the full list of shortcuts to the Optimal Layout people, though - many thanks.

Hmm, I looked at Divvy, but I don’t want to have lots of bitty bits all over the screen. Ideally, I want to have every program fullscreen, but to be able to click to make them half-left, top-right, or whatever.

You can do that with Divvy, but you might prefer Cinch

macupdate.com/app/mac/33161/cinch

Or BetterSnapTool (very cheap)

macupdate.com/app/mac/37265/bettersnaptool

I just find Optimal Layout a bit heavy, though the idea is good.

Martin.

Divvy, Cinch and BetterSnapTool all have one evil in common - they require mousing and dragging. I have a deep objection to mousing, which is why I like keyboard shortcuts - too much mousing-and-dragging leads to RSI.

I take your point about mousing and dragging, and that would be a problem with Cinch, but the others also allow shortcuts – and the great advantage of Divvy (for me, at least) is that it’s almost impossible for the shortcuts to conflict with other applications – which is one of the reasons why I use it. I’ve got so many things lurking in the background waiting for key presses. Divvy allows me to have easy window management without strange things happening. I have it set up so that pressing Cmd-Ctrl-Opt-Space invokes Divvy, then pressing L sends the window to the left half, R is the right half, T is the top, and B is the bottom – and all of that is configurable, so that if you want X to be the top left corner, and three-quarters of the screen in all directions, you can do that. I’m not trying to sell it, but after trying many of the window managers, it’s the one I’ve found that gets in my way least, doesn’t overwhelm me with options, and doesn’t interfere with other applications – at least, not so far. But, as they say, your mileage may be my three drachma (or something like that). :smiley:

Cheers, Martin.

When you invoke Divvy with your everything-shortcut, can you banish it again with the same toggle?

Yes, absolutely.

Alternatively, you can have it set up so that it disappears automatically without further intervention.

Hmm, maybe I’ll write off those seventeen good-looking dollars and try out Divvy, buy it when a few more people buy me buke.

Like the tagline, by the way. So true.

Many thanks. I had to climb a very large boulder myself! Still fairly near the bottom in absolute terms …

And I hope lots of people by the buke, whatever you decide to do with the money!

I don’t think it’s just me who finds Divvy a good solution, btw. I note that on the MacUpdate site, it has four stars as an average from 217 votes. Optimal Layout has four stars as an average from 9 votes. Divvy is about a month younger, but whereas Optimal Layout has been downloaded about 8,500 times, Divvy has been downloaded about 39,00 times. Not conclusive, but suggestive.

Cheers, Martin.

Trying out Divvy. Liking it. Thanky.

But the first thing I looked for in the list is Project Replace…, where I found:

Find > Project Search ⌃⌘F

But that’s not right. That key sequence switches the application to full screen mode.

Updated.

There’s also a complete list of menu items and their keyboard shortcuts in Appendix A of the user manual.

Thanks for updating the FAQ!

Appendix A doesn’t list that shortcut (so it isn’t complete). It’s also far too wordy for an on-screen reference … and ALL references are on-screen now, so … thanks again for the update.

Bobby
(gruff since forever)

Sorry, I should have said that NEITHER document gives a shortcut for Project Replace.

But I have a tool-bar button for it and I know how to create a shortcut (but I won’t).

I don’t think creating my own shortcuts is wise when

a) I can’t remember even half the built-in shortcuts that I would use if I remembered them, and

b) Altering the Mac OS with an application shortcut seems like a losing game. I’d have to do that for each shortcut on every present and future machine I use. I’d never keep it straight.

Bobby
(gruff since forever)

Ah, I didn’t read closely enough. No, neither gives a shortcut for this because there is no built-in shortcut. :slight_smile: As you note, Apple makes this easy to do for any application, and it’s inevitable that some people will want shortcuts for certain items and others for other items, and there’s a boatload of shortcuts built-in as it is. At some point it makes a lot more sense to allow users to make their own custom shortcuts for things they want frequent access to, letting them choose a shortcut sensible to them. (With the same system it’s possible to change existing shortcuts, which I know many users do–for instance, swapping the shortcuts for the regular Paste and for Paste and Match Style, because they use PaMS more often.) Keep in mind that when you add or alter a shortcut, it gets listed next to the menu item in the program, so it’s just as easy to check the shortcut there as for built-in ones.