complicated formating corrections to existing documents

I wrote a ton of documents and pressed enter to return cursor to next line often,
instead of waiting to reach the end of the document line and being returned automatically.
I am exporting my document MMD to HTML. The problem is, I have plenty of lines with
auto-corrected capitalization. Example:

This is my sentence and as I (I press enter here)
Continue writing on next line my first word is capitalized.

My document is not formatting nicely when I compile MMD to HTML.
I have new lines and capitals all over.

How can I correct this without going to each instance on every document specifically
and correcting it manually?

This was my attempt at correcting:

I highlighted a document and converted all text to lowercase. Then I went
into preferences and check selected auto-capitalization. I went to same document
and converted to default styling but the auto-capitalization did not take effect
on first word of sentences.

Any help?

If you hit Return to go to the next line, then yes, you will get new line characters everywhere. That’s what the Return key does. I’m not sure what behavior you were expecting?

The Documents -> Options -> Show Invisibles command will show these characters, and then you can copy and paste a paragraph mark into the Find/Replace command. That will allow you to find and fix the new lines and the unwanted capital letters.

Katherine

Hello Katherine,

First of all,

Thank you so much for responding. Your suggestion was both educational and helpful.
It’s my error from start. I’m not used to using a wysiwyg word processor application. I’m a designer and programmer and well, yeah.

Thus, when I was writing at first, I saw that the letters were being capitalized once I entered. What I really wanted and now thinking back was to change the overall margin or size of the document in width so that my text wrapped sooner than the edge of the paper. I kept on writing because it was my first time using scriviner and I was both excited (didn’t want to lose the inspiration) and not wanting to learn the ins and outs just yet. I figured it had to be an easy formatting fix that I could apply later. I was thinking too much in my code mind frame where I could target whatever I want.

Anyway,

Is there a way to target the first letter of every line after a paragraph mark? I found some solutions based on your suggestion and there as follows:

1. I can convert whole document to small caps > 2. find/replace paragraph mark with one space > 3. convert document spaces to one space and then > 4. spell check and grammar to quickly move through capitalizing first letters of sentences.

obviously you see the benefits and of course the problems (most of all being time consuming and that there may be capitalization within document sentences that I wanted to remain in cap.)

What I have ended up doing is just going through each line’s first letter manually and deleting and replacing letter (caps>low cap) and then using find/replace to remove paragraph marks with a “one space” (since it doesn’t allow a find/delete function for every next selection -I can’t simply replace all or it will undo some paragraph separators that need to be there.) and then using spelling/grammar check to recap the one’s that are after a sentence.

Either way there is no short, cut and easy replace. I will constantly have to find/replace… move cursor onto document and change caps, then cmd f to return to find/replace > next, so on and so forth till I’m done. Or use one of the methods above.

Just seeing if there is an even quicker way to target/replace with less clicks and key strokes. I have tons of documents. It’s going to take a long time.

Thanks for your help.

If this is the best solution its a great lesson learned.
If not let me know if there is another technique or strategy you would use.

-Sergio

I’m not sure how converting the whole document to small caps helps?

Other than that, yes, converting the paragraph marks to spaces will get rid of them, and then you can fix sentence capitalization using the spell/grammar check tools.

For future reference, the fastest way to get Scrivener to wrap text to a “normal” page width is to resize the window so that the edit pane is the size you want. Second fastest is to use the View-> Page View command.

Note that the page width you see in the editor does not necessarily have any relationship to the page width in your final output document. For this reason, it’s best to only use hard Returns when you actually do want to force a line break that will appear in the final document. Most word processors, not just Scrivener, expect that you’ll use margins and/or window size to control the line length.

Katherine