Compose Mode Tweak

I have been using Scrivener for a couple of weeks, and so far I love it!

I am a bit dyslexic, but am doing an MA, then a PhD next, so need write a lot.

I love the ‘compose mode’ (aka full screen, zen, focus mode) - but think this could be a bit better. I also love iA Writer for total writing focus. That is a super-minimal focused writing environment with little features, but it looks great and really helps me get the words down.

The iA screen allows me fill screen space (I have a 24" 1920px width screen) - but the text is centred. I am able to get your full screen thing to stretch the entire width of my screen, but the text also gets extended to the edges.

Ia Writer full screen mode

does this make sense?

basically if the screen could be all one colour (i actually nicked the BG off iA and added it in) but the text could not extend the entire width, that would be really neat and nice. I know I must come over a little OCD!

it would just make the compose mode that much better for me :slight_smile:

Hi,

Move the cursor to the bottom of the screen to bring up the control bar, where there is a control to resize the width of the text and also to determine whether background gets faded or not (you can see both controls in your screenshot, in fact). Also be sure to check out the “Compose” pane of the preferences, where you have complete customisation of all colours.

Here is another screenshot of Scrivener in Compose mode, with a different paper colour, background colour, and with the text width narrower:

All the best,
Keith

Awesome, that’s nailed it. I hadn’t changed the background. I done it now.

I am really digging Scrivener so far. I always try to balance out time spent fiddling around with the tools vs actually getting the job done. I had only fiddled some.

This is one of the best apps I have ever bought (and I have bought a lot!)

Glad that helped. And thank you for the kind words, much appreciated!
All the best,
Keith