Composition mode issue

I am having troubles with composition mode once or twice a day. When opening it it won’t show the background of the text but put it over the next open window or the desktop although there is no fade used in the options.
What is worse: I cannot type or scroll or leave it with esc. I need to press the windows key and reopen Scrivener which is apparently not in use or so the icon in the taskbar says. When the program opens the above happens.
Is it a bug or might Scrivener 3 not yet be ready for Windows 11?

Hi there,

what are your options for Composition mode?

You should try to tick/untick the first one shown in the screen and try again to see if anything different happen.

Yes I did that. It shows the same behaviour with every background e.g. desktop. Not always but randomly. Than it gets stuck, I cannot scroll nor type or even close it without using the windows key. And although this composition window was open scrivener itself was shut.

Some times ago, when scrivener was in beta, there was an alternative version of the app for “hi-dpi” (or something like that) . That version was using newer Qt libs.

I don’t know if it’s still around, or how to get the stable version (if any), but might worth a try.

You lost me now :smiley: Hi-dpi qt libs? Ahem … yes? No? I just bought the Windows version Scrivener 3 …

Sorry for being cryptic.

While the app was not stable yet, it was possible to use it for free (and beta testing… reporting bugs, stuff like that).

At that time, if I’m not wrong, you could download the regular version (x86 or x64) and a special version targeting newer libraries that were supposed to handle better hi-resolution display. The Scrivener staff can be more specific on this.

Since this “special” version of Scrivener was using “newer” stuff to better support “newer” screen resolutions, I was wondering if that version of Scrivener could work better on newer OS versions, like Windows 11.

Unfortunately, I don’t know where to get that version. :pensive:

1 Like

Ah thanks for the explanation. All a bit difficult when writing and reading in another language so I just thought I have so much more to learn still :smiley:
For the moment I went back to Papyrus because of two small things that bother me: When deleting a word the space won’t get deleted and when writing a dialogue in which one person interrupts the speaker the quote sign doesn’t close but opens. So right now I will Scrivener be Scrivener until I am in the right mood to keep up with it and need the very tidy surface.
Thank you so much for helping :slight_smile:

You’re welcome

Yeah, I know, it’s annoying, but you can easily fix that by pressing CTRL + SPACE. This removes every double-space from the entire document.

I don’t understand what you mean. By quote sign, you mean this " or this ’ ?

I mean this:
I use this a lot, so it takes up quite some time to repair this :slight_smile:

It was a temporary branch in order to provide additional testing for the HighDPI issues. The resulting code got collapsed back into a single branch in later betas and the final release.

Oh, thanks for the explaination. :blush:

So, the current stable version 3.0.1 already got all the benefits from the HiDPI version, right?

That’s my understanding, yes.

1 Like

I guess this is a bug, though wondered a bit if it could have to do with a font, per some problems in this article with Verdana, etc. and ‘English’ typographic quotes:

https://german.stackexchange.com/questions/117/what-is-the-correct-way-to-denote-a-quotation-in-german

Hard to think a font would reverse only one of the quotes, though you could try an alternate to see.

I was also a little confused by the hyphen before the trailing guillemot - did you intend that?? Which is how I happened to look this up :slight_smile:

The guillemets are used in novels because the Gänsefüßchen make the layout look like a mess :smiley: And yes - the hyphen is intended. You use it if you cannot finish your sentence because you get interrupted.

This is a known issue with the text editor “smart” quotes. Workarounds include adding the em dash after the closing quote and/or using a text expander to achieve what you are looking for.

Of course I could make it work but when writing I want to get on and not going back again and again. So this is really an issue that hinders the desired flow. It’s a shame that such small things put the program in the second place after the program I used up to now and now once again although I do like the look of scrivener best. Maybe one day :slight_smile:

Dunno if this might help, but you could try to go with “regular” quotes and then apply some transformation while compiling the manuscript using text substitutions.

Do you think that’s applicable to your use case?

dpi = dots per inch, hi-dpi = high resolution graphics. It became the standard version, but in the beta process there were high and low resolution versions.

Qt is a development framework. libs = libraries.