Confusion over Formatting for Export

I’m having trouble understanding how to format my draft for exporting to Word.

1. Given that Content, Text Options and Formatting are saved as 3 different settings, how do I combine them to use all 3? Or is this not necessary?
  2. What does Text Title Format and Text Containing Titles mean? When are they to be used?
  3. Although I’ve set the text to Courier New 12p several time and exported the draft, the Word text size and font are always different (larger). What am I doing wrong?
  4. My title page containing name, address and novel title is placed into a box. When I change the size inside the box, it changes the body of the text. Why is it put in a box in the first place?
  5. How do I automatically number the pages?
  6. Is there a way to format the draft so that it is exported in A4 size?

Hi,

They’re not saved as different settings - all those settings affect your current output. They’re just broken into three panes so because they wouldn’t all fit into one. :slight_smile:

There are three types of document that may be included in your draft - folders, text documents, and text containers. Text containers are just text documents that have other text documents inside them (their icon is a stacked version of the text icon). These settings allow you to set how the titles of these different document types will look, and will only have any effect if you have set the titles to be included for the document types in the Content pane.

Have you chosen “Override text formatting” in the Formatting tab and chosen the font for the text in the text view below it? Have you also checked that it isn’t just a display difference in Word - that Word isn’t actually showing Courier New 12pt but at a larger scale?

I’m not sure what you mean about it changing the body of the text. The “box” is a table. It’s inside a table because it’s the only way you can have the address on one side of the page and the word count on the other. If you are finding that it is pushing text down, then just remove some of the blank lines beneath the box.

Include the “<$p>” tag in the header or footer in the Text Options pane. The <$p> tag in the header or footer gets replaced with the page number during output.

Set the page size in File > Page Setup.

Much of this will become more obvious and intuitive in 2.0 (although 2.0 has a lot more options!).

All the best,
Keith

Keith–Thank you for the reply. Sorry, but I still need a bit of hand holding.

1. Under Draft in Scrivener I have a series of chapters, which I take are ‘plain’ files. So what do I need to concern myself with regarding Text Title Format etc.?

2. I’ve keyed in my header information followed by / <$p> but the header and number isn’t appearing in the Word document. I’ve experimented but just can’t get it to appear.

3. I take it your answer here means File > Set up in Word? As I don’t see it in Scrivener.

X. I have my Chapter headings centered in Scrivener, but they are all right adjusted in Word. Can I change this?

This is an optional feature which can be used to style dynamic titles you have applied to your text files. These titles come from their binder names. If you have already typed in titles in these documents, then there is no need to worry about generating dynamic titles, or styling the dynamic titles.

Does Word hide the header under any circumstances? Perhaps in draft mode vs. page layout mode?

No, it’s right in Scrivener—File menu at the top of the screen, towards the left-hand side. In that menu you’ll see a Page Setup feature down near the bottom, near “Print Current Document”.

Again, to answer this more fully, more information is needed. How are your chapters being centred, where are the chapter titles coming from, what format are you using to export to Word, that sort of thing.

Another question to help you: are you exporting to RTF or .DOC. If the latter, then I’d try the former. Although in Scrivener export they’re basically the same thing, RTF is … perhaps “safer” is the word … and is totally readable by MSWord. Also, I don’t know if this happens with other flavours of Windows, but if I export a text from Scrivener as .doc and email it to a colleague — my colleagues all use Chinese Windows — if they email it on without opening it in Word and re-saving it first, the recipient of that email gets a file which is scrambled into binary code (I think Entourage, Outlook or whatever they call it, on encountering the .doc extension must think it’s a binary .doc and use the wrong MIME type). This doesn’t happen with RTFs.

Mark

I’m getting there by trial and area and thanks to all of you for the good advice. Although I choose double spacing under Scrivener’s Formatting and although it actually shows the example text is double spaced, the Word doc.format is always single spaced (no better in RTF). But I’ve worked round this using Word’s formatting tool.

What I still can’t figure out it how to get the headers to start on the second page of the main document when I also use a title page (my name, address, novel’s title) as is widely recommended to use. The header starts on page 1 of Chapter 1, when I want it to start on page 2 (which is actually the third page, given the title page is page 1). I’ve checked Not on page 1 and tried with and without also checking Count page 1–though I DON’T understand what it means.

This is probably rude of me to ask here but I’ll take the liberty of doing so anyway. I’m formatting to A4 page size using 12p Courier New and I’m targeting the US market. I see it’s recommended in many places to have 25 lines a page, but I have 30 lines, even with generous margins. Is my choice of A4 unusual?

Hmm, a loss of double-spacing and indents are the two top bugs with the .doc exporter, and next to impossible to fix due to how the .doc exporter is a black box provided by Apple. The RTF format really should be preserving your formatting though. Like you say, it’s easy to fix in Word, but that is a bit perplexing.

Count page one means that even though the header shouldn’t appear on it, it will count it anyway. So the first header marked page would be 2 instead of 1. This also should be relatively easy to fix in Word, but again it’s perplexing that it’s not working for you with RTF.

In the U.S., A4 would be unusual, yes. It’s more difficult to find that paper size here, and hardly anybody keeps it around. Most cheap printers don’t come with trays that can handle it. If you are definitely targeting U.S., I’d stick with formatting for US Letter. The page is about as wide, and a little shorter, hence the shorter line count.

AmberV, thanks for your patience. Actually, the page numbering in the header is a problem for me when it comes to sending a digital copy. I experimented by omitting the title page when exporting so that Chapter 1 page one had no header, with the header/number starting on p2. Fine. Then I moved the Word text down a page so that I could write in the title etc. in the blank beginning. But the header then appears on the new p2 (Chapter 1, p1). So I’m back where I started.
Where you thinking of another work-round when you suggested it should be relatively easy to overcome in Word?
Ideally, it would be good if we have a choice of which page to begin the header/numbering. Am I the only one to run into this problem?

I think you have to set this up in Word by having page 3 start a new section (Insert > Section Break in Word). It’s not pretty and a bit fiddly to set up, though, and although I used to know how to do this I just spent five minutes in Word trying to get the different header to take - it might be worth Googling for “Microsoft Word, Mac, header and footer” to find out how to do it - sorry that’s not much help!)

All the best,
Keith

Right, Keith is approaching the problem the way I meant it when I said this should be “easy” to set up in Word. I wasn’t proposing a work-around, so much as actually using whatever features Word has for assigning headers and how it handles frontmatter like title pages, and Roman numeral page numbering for all of the stuff prior to the main book material. Scrivener doesn’t really handle that level of detail, but you definitely should be able to do this without deleting and inserting pages and so forth. I’m no Word expert, either, though.