consistency between "Go To" and "Move To" arrow-directions

Dear all,

I’m thrilled to have discovered Scrivener recently. The suggestion below is due to entirely selfish motives, hoping for a terrific app to be made even more to my liking.

I’m using the Windows version. All comments below pertain only to that version, as I have no idea whether the same things happen in the Mac version. The following description of the current functionality is rather simplified for discussion’s sake but, I hope, not too simplified to support the point at hand.

If I understand correctly, this is how that which we might call the “arrow options” in “Move To” and “Go To” work:

The “arrow options” in View --> Go To (i.e., Alt+Shift+arrow) navigate you (whether you’re in the Editor or the Binder) to another file or folder, either higher or lower in the outline containment hierarchy than, or else at an earlier or later position among siblings of, the current file or folder – depending on which arrow key you press.

OTOH, the “arrow options” in Documents --> Move To (i.e., Ctrl+arrow, active only when you’re in the Binder) move the current file or folder, either higher or lower in the containment hierarchy than, or to an earlier or later sibling position than, its current position – depending on which arrow key you press. (I love this feature, BTW!)

The arrow keys map to the four particular movement-directions thus:

Alt+Shift+
Left or Right arrow: takes you EARLIER or LATER (respectively) among the current siblings
Up or Down arrow: takes you HIGHER or LOWER (respectively) within the hierarchy

Ctrl+
Left or Right arrow: takes you HIGHER or LOWER (respectively) within the hierarchy
Up or Down arrow: takes you EARLIER or LATER (respectively) among the current siblings

Have I mistaken any of the basic patterns above? If not, was there a compelling reason, perhaps due to other UI decisions or programming restrictions, for originally having the inconsistency in the actions of horizontal and vertical arrows, between Go To and Move To?

If not, let me point out that there is at least one argument for reconsidering the above, current arrow-functionality, and making it either consistent, or else susceptible (by user configuration) to being rendered consistent. The argument is that it would make these keyboard actions easier to learn and to retain, if they were consistent.

There is of course a certain intuitiveness to both of the above orientations. For if we visualize the containment hierarchy as being a “down-growing” tree, then obviously going Down puts you lower in the hierarchy – as Alt+Shift+arrow currently works. Whereas if we think of the hierarchy as a “right-growing” tree, as it appears in the Binder, then obviously it is to the Right that we want to move, to go lower in the hierarchy – as Ctrl+arrow currently works. However, what is not intuitive is being forced to visualize your tree one way if you want to Go To, but another way if you want to Move To.

I hope some consideration will be given to what might be done to ameliorate this situation. A solution that no one but perhaps the programmer might disagree with, would be to make it configurable by the user. There might be programming considerations, however, that burden this suggestion, for example getting the mention of the keyboard shortcuts, in the Documents and View menus, to change when a user changes the Go To or the Move To configuration.

I’d be very interested in what others have to say about this issue. Many thanks for your consideration,

Best regards,
Andy

Thanks for posting your feedback! Glad to hear the software is working out well for you.

I’m not positive about the reasoning behind the arrow keys being flipped on the side as you describe. On the Mac things are indeed as you suggest. Opt-Cmd-UpArrow and DownArrow are used for navigation of the editor, and Ctrl-Cmd-Up/DownArrow are used for the movement of items in that same axis. So on the Mac side at least, we agree with you, but the Windows developer obviously feels differently. :slight_smile:

Fortunately you can customise these. Just hit F12 to open [b]Tools/Options...[/b], click on the “Keyboard” tab icon, and set yourself up with something that works better for you.

Wow! That is cool!!
Thanks very much for the prompt reply. This has inspired me to persevere in my efforts to learn all about Scrivener!
Best regards,
Andy