Console Error Message on startup

Hello there,

Just thought it might be useful to report an error message that has been appearing in the Console.

I am using an iBook G4, Mac OS X 10.4.9, Scrivener 1.03.

When starting the application, the following entry appears in the console:

Scrivener[283] *** Illegal NSTableView data source (<SCRSearchResultsController: 0x4c2830>[object class: SCRBinderDocument, number of selected objects: 0]).  Must implement numberOfRowsInTableView: and tableView:objectValueForTableColumn:row:

The application still loads fine and I can detect no evidence of things going wrong using it.

I hope that is enough information; I’ll be happy to offer more if I can.

Thank you again for a great application,

W.

Hi,

This is completely harmless. It is, in fact, a rare bug in Cocoa, and not in Scrivener. It happens with a few other apps occasionally. I used to have it appear all the time, then I deleted an interface file and created it in exactly the same way again and it went away. Basically, tables such as the search controller can be controlled in two ways - via lots of code or via something known as “bindings”. That warning is just saying, “Help! Where is all the code to control me?” but the table doesn’t need it, because it is controlled by bindings, and if the code was there as well it wouldn’t work properly. Very silly.

That is just a long winded way of saying that you can safely ignore that warning. It has zero effect on anything, and hopefully it will go away with a future update to the OS. Not sure why it is appearing on your machine and not mine (or that of others), mind.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Thank you very much for your reply. Glad to hear there’s nothing to worry about.

It is an odd one though!

Yours,

W.

Yeah. Basically it’s saying, “You need to implement these two methods otherwise the data source for the table is illegal.” Only, um, it’s not. It used to be, but hasn’t been since Panther. :blush: