Constant freezing when I open Scrivener

Hi,

I have a problem where every time I open Scrivener, it just freezes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it just doesn’t make a difference. I though it was only one particular project, but it now freezes just opeining the tutorial or creating a new document. It just is completely unusable, and I would value some suggestions before I try to get my money back from Apple.

thanks
RK

Ok. Even worse now. Just won’t open at all. Can’t open anything, can’t create anything. What a gip.

RK

I would try navigating to ~/Library/Preferences/ and scroll down to where you find a number of file whose name starts com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2… and move them onto your desktop, and then try starting Scrivener again. Corrupted preference files is one of the most common reasons for an app not opening on a Mac. If it starts, it will create a new preference file; it’s never happened to me, so I’m not sure if you might need to enter your serial number, etc. again … presumably not if you bought it through the App Store.

I’ve been running Scrivener since before v. 1 was launched and I’ve found it to be one of the most stable apps I’ve owned in 20+ years of Mac life, so I’m sorry you’re having trouble, and recommend you to be patient … if moving the preferences doesn’t sort it, someone from the team will be along shortly to help you trouble-shooting.

Incidentally, information about your what sort of Mac you’re running it on, and particularly operating system 10.6/7/8 is helpful.

Good luck.

Mr X

Hey Mr X,

I followed your advice for the same reasons as above, however it didn’t work… any other ideas?

Using Max OS X 10.8.4

PJ

By chance do you have Apple Care and have discussed with Apple? Could be a system (hardware or software problem?). They might have some diagnostic tools they could have you run on your machine.

Well, tried all that was suggested, then did a search from the terminal and deleted all scrivener associated files, then reinstalled. For a moment I had hopes it would work - opened the installed Scrivener, loaded the Tutorial successfully, started working on it - typed a single character, and it froze.
It’s not a hardware problem, it’s a brand new Mac Book Air, Mid 2013, 1.7GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD (330GB capacity remaining), with Mac OSX 10.8.4 fully updated. If there was any hardware problem it would manifest when using Photoshop / Final Cut Pro or just regularly with other programs. Scrivener is the only app that is exhibiting this behavior.

By the way, it’s not really freezing as such - the cursor still blinks, it is just that the interface is entirely unresponsive to any input whether keyboard or mouse. I’ve left it running for about 1/2 hour to see if it comes back, but nothing. THere’s no spinny wheel or anything - and Activity monitor shows the processes working fine so not sure. It’s most likely that Scrivener just isn’t properly compatible with Mountain Lion.

Unlikely. Scrivener 2.4.1 is running fine for me on OS-X 10.8.4.

I’m very sorry to hear about your problem, but what Ahab says above goes for me too. I’ve used Scrivener on a daily basis for many months under 10.8.

Incidentally, what exactly are you doing when the interface is ‘entirely unresponsive’? it’s a long shot, and probably doesn’t apply, but I simply ask because I seem to remember early in Scrivener’s history some new users expected Word-like responses and when they didn’t get them, they also said the Ui was unresponsive.

I’m another user experiencing flawless performance of Scrivener in OS X 10.8. Not said to rub your nose in it but just to illustrate that it’s not a global incompatibility issue and hence more likely to be a problem either with your specific installation or with other apps installed.

Have you emailed technical support?

I was using the App without any difficulties up to a month ago… its been brilliant… I opened it to start a new document and only go as far as starting a new folder and it froze…

Something has caused this… might be nice if the developers of the app actually made a comment. I guess its time to contact Technical Support!

Have you tried running the disk utilities to check the disk? What changed on the system on month ago?

As the app works well on so many other machines, the odds of the problem being with the app are low.

It may be some utility that is running interference (e.g., a shortcut utility that intercepts keystrokes).

I would try rebooting with extensions off. I think that is what they call “safe mode” and is accomplished by holding the Shift key down during boot-up (until you see the apple). See if that helps.

Hope you will hang in there. Scrivener really is awesome.

Best,
–Gr

Is it possible you have a linked bluetooth keyboard, mouse on trackpad tucked away somewhere with something touching. Unlikely because that would affect the whole system. However your description of not being able to get response (copied below) brought to time something similar I had that I found out was a keyboard or mouse tucked in a backpack that was being hit by something else:

What you wrote
By the way, it’s not really freezing as such - the cursor still blinks, it is just that the interface is entirely unresponsive to any input whether keyboard or mouse. I’ve left it running for about 1/2 hour to see if it comes back, but nothing. THere’s no spinny wheel or anything - and Activity monitor shows the processes working fine so not sure. It’s most likely that Scrivener just isn’t properly compatible with Mountain Lion.

hi,
As you say, it would affect the whole system if that was the case. Yesterday I managed to open it (after it went unresponsive the first time) and it stayed alive for a while until I tried to close it, then it hung. Something very weird with it.

There is a problem with some input plugins (OSX level). I can’t remember the exact one, but let’s see if we can’t get one of the tech folks at L&L to chime in. Hang on…

There are a few that can cause problems with the 10.8 update. It is generally only an issue if you’ve upgraded the computer from an earlier version, and have software that hasn’t been updated in some time that used methods that are no longer supported by the Mac (but theoretically if you install a program that hasn’t been worked on in a while on a new system, it could still cause issues). In the majority of cases that I’m aware of, the easiest way to detect whether or not this is the problem is to reboot the computer with the Shift key held down, all the way until you are fully logged in (if you have to type in your login credentials part-way through, then of course do so, and then immediately go back to holding down the Shift key after you click the login button). This will enable the closest thing to a safe mode boot on the Mac. None of your background programs will be launched, and all input managers and other extensions will be disabled. In this clean state, you can then try running Scrivener all by itself (I’d recommend running nothing else beyond Finder) and see if the problem persists.

If it goes away, then you know something is conflicting, and it is very likely some old program’s contextual menu plug-in or similar that is trying to attach itself to any normal Mac program, crashing, and subsequently taking the host program (Scrivener in this case) down with it.