Container Issue

I know this is a small issue, because others are using containers. I have not been involved in any use of Scapple before. So new user of this product. I cannot get my text items to become contained or attached to a background shape. I’m reading the manual p29-30. It doesn’t work for me. What is the trick??

Background shapes in Scapple are not really containers, that might be part of the confusion. By default in fact they just exist beneath other notes and are completely ignorant of them. If you would like for a shape to “claim” the notes that are overlapping it, then you need to use Notes/Magnetic to toggle that on for the shape. A magnetic shape will move any notes overlapping it at all, even if only by a hair’s width. If you move a magnetic shape into the middle of a bunch of notes and then back out, it will suck up everything it touched and drag them away. So it’s quite a bit different than a folder, container, or outline node.

Incidentally, you referenced the manual having not explained this feature well. In fact pages pgs. 29 – 30 are in regards to stacks, which are just a list of notes stacked vertically. The section you are looking for is a couple of pages back, 26 – 28.

Got that magnetic thing. So the shapes, now, do keep the text items. Seems like a container to me…

I was using the PDF page numbers, not the printed page numbers in the manual. My bad.

Thanks for the response.

No worries, I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. I’ll go over this section a bit and see what I can do to clear it up.

You can use them as containers if you wish. 8) The nice thing about shapes is that they can be a bit like containers (without the implications, beyond grouped movement), but they can also be quite different and do other things that folders cannot do. For example, a note can overlap two shapes, and thus be associated with two different concepts. That isn’t something that you can easily do with a folder short of fracturing the item into multiple visible instances with symbolic links or aliases, and I think everyone will agree that isn’t optimal for visualisation and discovery since you can’t find aliases from the root file. The shape can also be the active component in assignment rather than the item. You never assign items to a folder by dragging the folder onto the items, but in Scapple you can use either method to equal effect.

I guess another way of putting it is that shapes and outline style containers do share a common area of overlap, but both have a good degree of things the other cannot do, and that is why we are reticent to refer to them as containers.

1 Like