Containers and folders behaviour. Possible bug?

Hi all,

I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong or this is the way it’s supposed to work. Using last Scrivener for Mac on Mavericks. Here is the thing:

b Steps using folders[/b]

• I have 3 folders selected on the Binder. I create collection A containing all of them.
  • I select collection A
  • I select all the items in the collection and view them under Outliner mode.
  • I expand the outline completely and all the subdocument tree shows exactly as I need.

Then I go back to the binder and convert those 3 folders to containers and follow similar steps:

b Steps using containers[/b]

• I have 3 containers selected on the Binder. I create collection B containing all of them.
  • I select collection B
  • I select all the items in the collection and view them under Outliner mode.
  • I expand the outline completely but nothing happens.

I have tried this with “Treat all containers as folders” checked and unchecked. The result is the same.

Is this how it’s supposed to work? Or is it a bug?

That does sound like a bug, the result should be the same whether or not file containers are being treated as folders (Expand All ignores type). Could you test using the beta build? That is what I used to follow these steps, but when I got to step 2.d I got the desired result, matching 1.d, with a five-level outline expansion.

One question: in the second test, do the container items have disclosure arrows, can you manually expand them? There is one case where you can end up with items lacking in disclosure arrows, and that is when you have a mixed type multiple selection: containers/folders + files. In that case, you get a flat single-dimension list. That is to be expected, but you didn’t mention selecting a fourth stray file, so I’m just wondering if maybe somehow that condition is getting triggered unwarranted.

You are absolutely right. I did not realize that some of those containers are in fact wanabee containers (which I have not populated yet), so that’s the reason I ended up with a flat list.

Thank you very much for your help!

The time for procrastination on those cards is over!