Context highlighting

Hi, I just started using Scrivener to write some short fiction. I come from a programming background, and I’m very used to editing text in that environment. In programming, it’s common to see things like keywords and strings colored differently in order to provide visual cues for ease of understanding and also to highlight formatting issues.

Here’s a simple example from a c-like language:

string myString = "this is my string of text";

Now that I’m writing a lot of dialog in my narrative stories, I find that a common error I make is forgetting to terminate spoken sentences with a double quotation.

So, finally, my question: is it possible to make scrivener apply context highlighting to text bracketed by certain symbols? Ideally, something like this:

“Hello, my name is William,” said the man. "I hope you have a nice time here at the fair! I smiled and went on my way.

would look something like this:

“Hello, my name is William,” said the man. "I hope you have a nice time here at the fair! I smiled and went on my way.

and, corrected, would look something like this:

“Hello, my name is William,” said the man. “I hope you have a nice time here at the fair!” I smiled and went on my way.

Thanks!

Code isn’t rich text however. :slight_smile: There isn’t a good way to apply style to rich text without actually applying that style. It’s trivial to dynamically style text when the underlying text is raw UTF-8 or something. To be clear I’m not saying it is impossible, we just don’t have an easy way of doing so with the text engine. The MultiMarkdown crowd would love a thing like this, otherwise.

Ah, it was worth a shot. I end up exporting to UTF-8 anyway, so if I get desperate I can always do a proofread in a ultraedit with a custom highlighting script or something. Thanks for the quick reply!