Conversion of old project into 2.0 Novel template

How can I do this? I thought of copy/paste but I have a lot of research documents associated with this project and if there is an easier way I’d sure like to know. Thanks, Satch

Just use the “Save As” feature to create a duplicate of your project. Once you’re 100% sure you have a copy, remove everything that you don’t want in the template, including keywords and the contents of any place-holder chapter & scene documents. Once you have it the way you want your novel template to look, use “Save As Template”. Confirm that it shows up as one of your custom templates and then delete the copy of the project that you used to create the template.

Going completely the opposite direction…I read the initial post and assumed this to be a question on how to upgrade a 1.54 project to 2.0 and have that project use 2.0’s “Novel” template. If that’s the question, you have a couple options. You could create a new 2.0 project with the template and then import your old project via File>Import>Scrivener Project… Downside of that is that you lose label, status, and Scrivener Links from your original project. If you don’t have or don’t care about these, it’s a fast and easy method. Your original project in that case will appear in the binder as a folder called “Imported Project ([Project Name])” and you can then just move everything out to where you want it the binder.

The other option, which is the one I personally would do, is to update your 2.0 project normally (just open it via 2.0 and Scrivener will first make a backup of your original project and then update the project for 2.0). This will preserve that meta-data that would otherwise get lost. Then create a new project with the Novel template, and then just drag and drop any of the documents from the template project’s binder that you want to use in your actual project. If you take a look at the Novel template, you’ll see there’s not a whole lot to it–a few empty folders in the binder for you to organize your scenes, characters, etc.; a couple template sheets that you can easily bring into another project with drag and drop; and a list of labels that will take you under a minute to reproduce in your other project, if you even want to use them. The title sheet and manuscript example again can easily be dragged from the template project to your actual project. The compile settings the template uses are already available to all projects as “Novel (Standard Manuscript Format)”.

Obviously it’s up to you, and you can create the project both ways to see which will work as you want it. Personally I rarely use the default templates at all, but occasionally I do open them to see what’s there and pull out pieces I find interesting or useful, hence my recommendation of the second method. But you may find the first to do everything you need.

Gee, thanks, I think. No really, I appreciate the time and effort in your reply but I was hoping there was an option somewhere to, Convert, <1.54 project> to <2.0 Novel Template> but I guess not. I would have thought this type of conversion a no-brainer. I will see ifI can follow #2’s instructions. Thanks again,

No, it’s not a “no-brainer” at all. How could a program know how to apply a completely different structure to a different project? How would it know how to break up a flat list of files, for instance, into chapter folders, and which chapter folders they should go in? Project templates in Scrivener are not at all comparable to word processor templates that just affect the formatting.

oohhh…looks like I struck a big badboy nerve…EXCUUUUSE ME

Uh, okay… I was explaining the “why”, seeing as you blithely - and wrongly - assumed it a “no-brainer”. I’m a bit baffled by your response. Happy New Year…

We’ll call the project you want to update to 2.0 “OriginalProject”.

1. Open OriginalProject.scriv in 2.0. Scrivener will create a backup 1.54 copy then upgrade the project and it will open.

2. Choose File>New Project…

3. Create a new project with the Novel template; call it “NovelSettings” and save it wherever you wish. It will open.

4. Look around in the NovelSettings project to see if you want to use this set up for your OriginalProject. The binder looks like this:noveltemplatebinder.png

5. In NovelSettings, select the documents/folders in the binder that you want to use and drag them to the binder of OriginalProject.

6. Move the documents already already in OriginalProject into the new proper folders.

7. Look at the list of Labels available in NovelSettings and decide if these are labels you will want to use.

8. Either recreate these labels in your OriginalProject by selecting “Edit…” in the Label dropdown menu in the inspector and adding the labels (giving them any color you like), or ask for directions on how to copy the necessary chunk of the .xml file from one project to the other.

9. Look at the status options and do the same as in 8. The status options for the Novel template are identical to those in the “blank” with the single addition of “Title Page” but they may differ from your OriginalProject settings.

Done. You can close NovelSettings and then delete it via Finder if you like, or leave it around; it’s not taking up much space.

Thanks for this thoughtful and helpful response! I understand. My earlier comment about “a no-brainer” simply referred to my thinking that perhaps by a simple conversion to 2.0 would just give me a toolbar and perhaps option settings that I could use to format and implement the “Novel” template settings in my old project. In other words, I had envisioned an environment that could load in the text of my old project without, of course, changing anything but then I would have the tools to make the changes myself.

I see that this is not possible and that’s fine. I just need to do some extra steps. Again, thanks.

The easiest way is similar to MM’s very first suggestion - create a new project from the novel template and then just drag the files across to it from your original project (you can drag from one binder to another). The downside - as the ever-helpful MM (thank you MM!) also pointed out - is that you will lose any meta-data you set up in the original project, and any Scrivener links, so it depends if you have those things in your original project. Other than that, dragging stuff across from a test project created from the novel template, as MM suggests, will definitely work.

The main thing to remember about the novel project and others is that they were all created from the blank project (all templates start out that way) - so the “Characters” folder is just a regular folder with an icon assigned to it via the Documents > Change Icon menu, and the character and location sheets are created in the same way and put in the Templates folder. For each template, I spent a couple of hours or several hours depending on the complexity, taking the blank project, adding folders and files, instructions, setting up options, customising icons and so on, for a particular purpose. But to Scrivener, these are all just regular projects with a random assortment of folders and files - there’s nothing special about the “Characters” or “Locations” folders and suchlike, which is why it can’t just apply these things to an existing project, because it doesn’t know which folders or files should be copied across or where they should be put in the target project. (To do so would require a complicated system of somehow telling a project that such-and-such-a-file should be regarded as part of the template and such-and-such shouldn’t, and then trying to get Scrivener to be smart about where to put these things… Which would all hurt my brain a bit, I think - the current system is rather simple at heart.)

Hope that makes sense, and I hope one of the solutions proposed works for you.

All the best,
Keith