Convert project to document bookmarks and back?

Is there a simple menu item or context click to convert a project bookmark to a document bookmark or the other way around?

Randall Lee Reetz

There’s a command to turn any document into a Project Bookmark on the Documents menu (Add to project bookmarks, which is also on the context menu), though it acts on the current document, not on the reference. That’s a bit fiddly.

So the easiest solution is probably:

1. Select the Document Bookmark you want to change in the Document Bookmarks list.
  2. Cmd-c, F6, Cmd-v, to copy it to the Project Bookmarks list. (F6 toggles the Project and Document bookmark lists.)

The flow works the other way as well, but Cmd-x doesn’t, so you’ll have to delete the one you don’t want manually (which will just delete the reference, not the underlying document).

If scrivener displayed both project and document bookmarks in labeled lists (project bookmarks on top, document bookmarks below), one could simply drag and drop bookmarks into the appropriate list. Its screwy that one has to see one or the other type of bookmark list and not both at once. But baring that intuitive approach, the context menu should have a simple “Convert to ____ Bookmark” item.

Then keep it in Document Bookmarks mode and flip the Project Bookmarks HUD on with cmd-shift B (close with cmd-w). Then you can see both together.

Skewy…

Please explain in full sentences.

Randall Lee Reetz

If you mean this… then you should know that the modal dialogue window (“Project Bookmarks”) that appears is just that, modal. Meaning, you can’t click into or edit anything in the main scrivener project window until you close it. So, obviously, you can’t move bookmarks between the two by dragging and dropping. in either direction. This is not a solution to the problem I have here identified. Not even close.

Of course you can drag bookmarks both ways. Try it again.

Do you think people who try to help you just make this sort of thing up?

Hey Randall,

You’re acting like an ingrate. After asking questions of your fellow customers on this peer to peer support forum, you belittle their answers, and you rarely say ‘thank you’ or express a modicum of gratitude. The only feedback you seem prepared to share is your dissatisfaction with the responses.

These people are taking moments out of their lives to help you. Why is that so difficult for you to acknowledge?

It’ll be an interesting social experiment to watch how long people continue to help you, if you continue acting like an ass. Except, of course, the L&L folks, who are being paid to.

Jim

We have, however, been known to gently suggest that other tools might meet a user’s needs more effectively.

Katherine

No, it isn’t. I just tested it. – Katherine

It is here.

I have suggested a simple change to scrivener that would make it far easier to switch “bookmarks” from project to document and from document to project. Simple context menu item on mouse click on bookmark. That and to show both project and document bookmark lists in the same inspector scroll. Just makes sense. Take it or leave it.

Do I really need to express once again that I am thankful for scrivener? OK, I am thankful for scrivener. If I wasn’t I wouldn’t have chosen it as my writing environment.

Then your copy of Scrivener is not behaving as it should. Since it explicitly encourages you to drag things to it, making it modal would be pretty useless.

The first thing to check is whether you have the most recent version, which is 3.1.5.

The second thing to check is whether you see the same behavior in all projects, or just this one.

Katherine

The problem is that you not only make a wish, you make demands, and when people suggest other ways to accomplish what you want (as the software isn’t likely to change anytime soon), you dismiss them in a rather impolite way. Oaky, I’ll take the hint and stay away from your posts.

Good luck with your writing.

No. You need to thank people when they help you.

And perhaps actually try the advice they have given you before you go proclaiming how it won’t work. They already know it’s not exactly what you asked for, but without actually trying it out to see how it works – how it meshes with your workflow, how the parts that don’t mesh well may lead you to discover a tweak that works better – you’re not helping yourself or anyone else.