Copy and paste issues: only getting a link instead

Recently when I’ve tried to copy and paste a document within Scrivener (so from one folder to another) it instead only posts a link to the document (which I can click on and open but that’s no use to me when I want to collate different bits of writing). Doesn’t matter how many times I try, I can’t get the text to paste. Totally baffled. All help gratefully received.

Scrivener 3.3.2
iMac OS 10.13.6 (yes, it’s ancient but it works)

To copy a complete item in the binder, there is a special Documents ▸ Copy To ▸ command (also available from the binder/outliner/corkboard context menu); you’ll also find a ▸ Move To ▸ command if you just want to reorganize without duplicating items.

Another option is to hold the Option key while dragging a binder item to create a duplicate to drop elsewhere in the binder. This behaviour is set in Scrivener ▸ Preferences... under Drag & Drop in the Behaviors tab. (The alternate behavior, with Option dragging creates duplicates deselected, would be for holding Option to prevent dropping onto a binder item as a subdocument.)

Another approach entirely, depending what you’re working on, would be to create collections to gather your documents without actually moving or copying them in the binder. Section 10.2 in the user manual discusses the types of collections and how you can use them to create a “list” of documents to work with. For instance, a search collection could pull together all the items with a given label or keyword, or you could manually create an arbitrary collection of scenes to try a different arrangement.

1 Like