Copyholder disappears after project close & re-open

I’ve been using a copyholder to load a website that I stream music from. It’s set to load a particular playlist, and has the controls right there in the page to pause it. But I’m having a couple of issues with this.

First, I have a project bookmark to store the link that loads the playlist. I can’t seem to drag that URL into the header of an editor while holding the OPT key and get it to open a copyholder that way. I have to first open a copyholder to something else (typically I use a standard binder item), and then drag that bookmark into the header of the copyholder. Then it loads, and everything’s spiffy.

The second issue I’m having is that when I close the project and then re-open it, the copyholder is no longer there.

I could live with the first issue if the second one didn’t happen. Is there any way you could make copy holders remain across project close & open if it’s got a web page loaded to it? If you could also make dragging + OPT to an editor header open a copyholder for a web URL, that would be even better.

Thanks!

Ah, I missed the important detail that it takes a project bookmark for this to happen. I was trying with an imported .webarchive file and that works fine (I presume that’s not a suitable workaround for the moment?).

It does appear to be a limitation for all forms of external bookmarks. I tried with file:// links as well, and got the same result. I’ll check and see if that’s an oversight or a necessary limitation, thanks!

I’ll try the webarchive idea as soon as I can. That would actually be great if it works, especially if it downloads the mp3s that are playing via the interface as part of the archive, so I could work without an internet connection. I wouldn’t mind the extra megabytes of space required, and that would preserve it for the day when that we page goes the way of so many neat sites. Thanks for the suggestion.

If this is a design decision to avoid loading the page every time the project is loaded (rather than a limitation that’s hard/impossible to deal with reliably), I’d point out that the web page loads in the inspector bookmarks pane if I leave that bookmark selected between Scrivener restarts. The only reason I don’t use the inspector is that I’m a big use of document bookmarks, and so the music stops as soon as I switch away from Project bookmarks view.

Follow-up: Sadly, it doesn’t work to import the website; the playlist is built by appending to the URL, but the webarchive doesn’t store that part of it, which essentially erases the playlist. So every time I load the project, I have to re-build the playlist from within the Scrivener editor/copyholder, and the site doesn’t render that very well, making it kind of difficult.

FYI: In case you’re curious, this is very much like the URL I have bookmarked: tabletopaudio.com/index.html?181&179&173&17&15 The numbers represent the soundscape audio files to play, in that order.

Have you thought of using Audio Hijack to capture the music as it’s being streamed to (a) file(s) on your disk that you could then import into Scriv or play in an external application?

Mark

I could do that (I/anyone can also just download the MP3s), but I haven’t settled on the final form of my book’s soundscape. I’m currently updating it frequently.

I could import the mp3s into iTunes or another sound app, but I really liked being able to stream the constantly evolving soundtrack to my story, and having it right there, completely contained and controlled from within Scrivener via that site’s pause/play buttons and playlist.

But I supposed once it settles down, I may use Fission (which is designed to manipulate sound files without playing them through), to concatenate the individual 10-minute-long mp3s into one very big file and import that to my project. Except that Scrivener doesn’t have a looping option to keep playing that file, so I’d have to click play every hour or so.

Maybe I’ll experiment with building the playlist in itunes, and exporting an m3u playlist file to add to Scrivener. If I can tell Scriv to “open” it in iTunes, then I can just manage the playlist there. Not self-contained, but it would be lightweight.

The thing about using Audio Hijack to capture the stream is that it would capture the whole playlist into a single file—mp3, mp4, AAC, WAV, whatever suits you—so you wouldn’t have to spend time joining them all together. And you can set it up so that it’s routing the sound to your speakers/earphones as well as to file, so you can get on with your Scrivening while listening to your playlist which is being saved to disk all the while.

It’s not free, but it’s a great app.

Mark