Copying folder structure without any of the content.

Is there any way to copy a binder folder structure without without also copying the text contained in each of the documents?

Maybe indirectly?

I could copy the folder as a ToC, paste that into new doc, and then apply split-with-titles to each line, then go back and create the folder hierarchy.

Before heading down that road, I thought I’d ask it there was alternate path.

Thanks.

Exporting to OPML using titles only and then re-importing that would preserve the hierarchy. Everything would come in as a text document (or group) rather than a folder, but it’s easy to create a multiple selection of anything you want to change and then convert them to folders.

What happens if you copy the project.scriv file to a newly created blank project? So long as you copy instead of move, there can’t be any harm in trying…

Thanks for the replies.

@MM When I export to OPML, no matter what I have selected, or whether ‘entire binder’ is selected, I get an empty, minimal OPML doc.

[code]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>

Miscellaneous unimportant thingstitle> 2014-04-29 11:51:21.837 [/code]

Not sure what to make of that.

@RG That was a good idea. It seemed like it would work – and it did. :slight_smile:

Would you believe me if I said I had briefly wondered if it might work if I duplicated the project, and then deleted everything in the doc folder, which gets to the same thing from the other direction? I didn’t and still haven’t tried that, but transplanting the scriv file worked beautifully.

There is, however, something vaguely creepy about scrolling through the familiar binder and seeing all those empty documents. :open_mouth:

The followup question and experiment is:

If you were to delete and otherwise rearrange some of the items in the “ghost” project’s binder, would it load correctly when that .scriv is moved back to the parent project?

You’d probably want to avoid things like merging files. But I imagine it would work… or might the checksum file have indigestion?

Zoinks! I don’t think I’m brave enough to even speculate on the safety of that move. Even a successful test with a duplicated project won’t guarantee that everything will turn out fine. I assume that the XML gets updated when Scrivener realizes that a given file doesn’t have an associate rtf file, or synopsis txt file, or any of the snapshots it thought it had. Not sure what affect that has on the ability to access those files if they suddenly “reappear”.

Deleting a file (sending it to Scrivener’s Trash folder) shouldn’t have any more impact than other operations on the non-existent files. In that way, it’s just like a move. But emptying the trash would leave the actual files (rtf, synopsis, document notes, snapshots) in place for the original project when you transfer the .scriv file back to it. Not sure if creating a new document would produce a new reference to those old files though, or if they’d just remain as undetected flotsam.

Na, that’s not something I would really try to do. Just a curiosity.

I loved their last record. :laughing:

Some of the best hipster-metal ever produced.