Cork board issues

Hi,

First of all, thank you for making this program! It’s incredibly helpful for me. I work with a major television production group in story development and this is now my default program.

What I’d like to see, is a way to stay in Corkboard mode while zooming through multiple levels of Cork board. As it is, you have to select the act in Scrivener mode, and then select the cork board option, even if you were operating in cork board beforehand. It forces you into scrivener. If there were a way to outline all the sections in Cork board before writing that would be fantastically handy.

Thanks Again!

BH

Are you using the new (2.x) version? In the old version, there was a preference you had to set in Navigation, which would always default to a particular view even if you changed it manually a hundred times. In the new version, there is no global preference. Each project remember what you used last, and should be sticking to corkboard wherever you click. Of course, if you change the view mode to something else, then it will stick to that instead.

The only exception to this are text files (and text groups if you don’t have “Treat all documents with subdocuments as folders” turned on, in the Navigation preferences) which will always default to text mode (though not Scrivenings mode). You can still access the corkboard from these items, it will be blank when you start, but you just have to hit Cmd-2 after you click on the text file.

These sorts of clicks do not change the view mode preference by the way, the are just the way as an underlying behaviour. Same goes for Cmd-4, which will load any selected item as a single text file, that won’t change the view mode either.

Some tips for moving up and down a hierarchy with the keyboard: Ctrl-Cmd-R will move up from where you are—often dropping back to your current view mode (especially with file groups set to act like folders). In the other direction, Opt-Cmd-O will load the selected card in the editor. If it is a stack, it will be another corkboard, if it is a file it will load the text. Also, Cmd-4 can be used to force single text mode when loading the selected card. This shortcut will also isolate a single text document out of a Scrivenings session (with Ctrl-Cmd-R taking you back when you are done).

…or are you using the Windows version, which your profile suggests?

In which case the first part of Ioa’s answer is all the same, but it would be Ctrl-2 to open as corkboard. I don’t think there is a Cmd-4 (View>Go To>Editor Selection) equivalent or, with that, Windows equivalents for anything in the last paragraph.

This is an interesting thread. Will be looking around for more like it. I think maybe this topic relates indirectly to the discussion offered by some about mindmapping, and whether mindmapping should be part of Scrivener or there should be a way to integrate a separate mindmapping program with Scrivener. As I think about this, my current view is that users real problem is the need for the corkboard interface to mature. How about an icon ribbon for navigating in corkboard view. That along with the ability to add folders and documents in corkboard view and to “stack” them would offer a powerful alternative to mindmapping that would use an existing user interface metaphor in Scrivener. The fact is that it would be very helpful to be able to brainstorm visually and then do an object oriented reorganization without needing to exit the corkboard view. This could especially be helpful when working collaboratively with a team – if not to author the document, at least, to decide on what its organization and subject matter will be. Throw a corkboard up on a large screen or video project it, and if it was really easily to navigate the corkboard, you’d have a very valuable tool. It’s important to be able to move up and down and into the layers of a stack or back up. (drill up and down) And many would probably value relationship views of the cards (which is what a lot of structured (as opposed to free-form) mindmappers provide for. Scrivener already has some ways to view informal relationships, using tags, collections, etc. Getting corkboard views based on those (maybe this can be done now – I haven’t tried, and don’t really see it documented) would offer other ways to see more complex relationships. But the really big thing to do is to make it much easier and more intuitive to navigate the corkboard. I’ve now spent several hours trying to understand the existing options, which are both too few and too hard to use or remember.

You can already add documents and folders in corkboard mode, and there is a freeform mode - the corkboard is already very mature.