Corkboard and body, how to keep consistency?

I love the Corkboard!

However, can synopsis be displayed directly as the body,Do not need convert?

Are you looking to draft a bit on the corkboard, and then later drop the synopses into the text for further writing? If so, the Documents ▸ Auto-Fill ▸ Append Synopsis to Main Text menu command is what you are looking for. Select the cards you wish to do this for, and run the command on them.

If you’re looking for the other way around, the best approach is to keep the card empty, that way it prints a bit of the main text body as a preview into the card.

yes. But I still feel too troublesome.

I don’t understand why the content of corkboard is Synopsis rather than main text?

Either you write something “on the card”, then that is your synopsis, or you don’t. In this case it shows the actual text. (I don’t think the editor will ever display the synopsis.)

The point of the corkboard (or at least how I use it) is to be able to have a concise summary or couple of bullet points per card of what the text is about. My main text is usually anywhere between 200-1000 words for each card. The quick summary allows me to help outline the chapter before I get started. Once written, I will update if to make sure it matches what I actually wrote. With large documents, having a concise summary of every chunk you’ve written is useful for editing: you can get a better idea of the big picture and whether everything is where it should be. You could also use them to just write yourself random notes about what each chunk needs doing.

If you don’t want to write summaries (maybe titles are enough for you), then just leave them blank. Whatever you write in the main text will display as a preview (Personally, I wish I could turn the preview feature, but to each their own!)

I can’t count synopsis, so I have to use the wordcounter tool

Secondly, Vladimir Nabokov also uses index cards to create

Why must it be stipulated to use summary to write?

I don’t understand the scientific nature of this design

If you really wanted to, you could indeed write your book solely into “synopses” on the cards. The software is flexible enough for that, but there would be a few things to be aware of:

1. Synopsis card text is stored as plain-text (.txt) on the disk. There is no formatting. So for one to have anything more than regular text, they would need to use a markup approach like Markdown. Fortunately Scrivener has extensive integration for this way of writing, including dedicated compiler settings.
  2. And on that matter of compiling, you would need to essentially convert any compile Format to work this way, since the main text editor is the presumed place where people will be writing. Let’s say you’re going to use Markdown so you can have italic text here and there and so forth:
    1. Open File ▸ Compile..., and set Compile for: “Multimarkdown > OpenOffice” at the very top.
    2. Select the MMD OpenOffice Document compile Format in the left sidebar, and click Assign Section Layouts. To keep this simple, just assign all of your types to the “Text Section with Heading” layout, for now, clicking OK to save settings.
    3. Double-click the preview tile in the middle column to edit the layout in the Compile Format Designer. You’ll end up in the Section Layouts pane, with the “Text Section with Heading” layout selected. Note the row of checkboxes along the selected row. Disable the Text checkbox, and enable the Synopsis checkbox.
    4. Click the Save button and run a test compile. You should get a document with hierarchical headings and all of the text body set from the synopses. Here’s where you’d probably want to fine-tune your Layout assignments, if at a certain level in the binder outline you don’t want headings, for instance.

So… it works, in theory. I wouldn’t want to actually work that way, it would be unnecessarily limiting, and as you note not all of the software is really going to work well, like statistics.

But if you really want to, you can. :slight_smile:

Why must it be stipulated to use summary to write?

I don’t understand the scientific nature of this design

As you can see, it isn’t stipulated. That is what the feature was designed for, but nobody is forcing anyone to use it a certain way. You can use it to write todo lists for that section, if you want. You can use it to hold bibliographic information where each card is a reference. It can be a glossary definition where the title is the term. There are probably hundreds of things we can do with these two concepts: a short title and a long description. One of those things could be “the content of the book”. These are separate concepts from the “this is what the feature was designed for” concept though.

2 Likes