Corkboard entries in Binder Again

Just opened up an older project and find many entries in the Binder>Research folder that have the Corkboard icon and show up as a synopsis.

Another instance is subfolder that is a daily timeline that covers a whole month one entry at a time. They will open singly or the whole subfolder will display a page of entries in the Corkboard.

I like them to show in the Corkboard and would use it more but how did I make those types of entries to start with? For me it works great for small remarks and notes while developing scenes when they open in the Corkboard.

Thanks

Jim

Actually when selecting the timeline items individually they only show up in synopsis. Selecting the folder opens all in Corkboard.

Jim

There are two separate things going on here. First, you have some items in the binder that have a synopsis but no main text. These are identified with the index card icon. They’re not different or special in any other way–if you delete the synopsis, they’ll go back to having a blank white page icon. If you add main text, they’ll switch to the document-with-text-squiggles icon. They’re all text items, just with different icons because it’s often useful to be able to identify at a glance which items have only synopses, or which are entirely empty, etc.

Single text documents all behave the same. if you select one, it loads in the editor as a text document, ready for you to write in. If you select multiple, they’ll load in the current group view mode for the editor–corkboard, Scrivenings, or outliner. The group view mode is also used for folders (and for document groups, if that is selected in the Navigation options). Select a folder, and you’ll see all its subdocuments on the corkboard or in the outliner or as Scrivenings. (The exception is that folders and document groups also have the option to be viewed as a single text file, since they can have their own text too, so you can turn off all the group view modes and just view the container’s text. That obviously doesn’t apply for a multiple selection, so you just have the three group view modes there.) It doesn’t matter whether the subdocuments have text or only synopses or are entirely empty. On the corkboard, you’ll see the group’s subdocuments as cards with their titles and synopses if they have one, regardless of whether they also have document text. Same for the outliner, although what you see depends on which columns you’ve chosen to display.

So in answer to the question of how you made the documents, you create them the same way you make any new document. Project > New Text, Ctrl+N, pressing Enter in the binder, etc. You can create them directly in the corkboard by loading a folder* in the editor, switching on View > Corkboard, and then using Ctrl+N there. (Or Enter, or the Add Text button in the footer, etc.) The document appears as a new blank item in the binder as a subdocument to the folder, and appears on the corkboard as a new index card ready for you to title and enter a synopsis. You can of course use the synopsis for whatever notes you want. These don’t have to end up fleshed out as scenes or such, they could just be a set of notes that only ever exist as notes on the index card. I’m just using “synopsis” since it’s the technical term for “the text on the index card”. :wink: Helpful if you ever want to search it in the documentation.

• Since folders open in the current group view mode and make a nice visual container, I suggested creating a folder for these. Technically though you can view the corkboard for any item, even a single text document. Just load the text and then click the corkboard icon in the main toolbar, or select View > Corkboard. Initially the board will be blank, and you can then start adding your subdocuments to it. Unless you’ve ticked the option to “Treat all documents with children as folders”, the container document in this case will always automatically load as a single text whenever you open it in the editor, even once it has subdocuments, so you’ll need to switch to the corkboard view each time you want to see it.

Thanks!

Now sure where the idea even came from but it works for me.

Jim