Corkboard Index Card Stacking

As a pre-sales user (very much intrigued), I notice a seemingly blind spot in the index cards aspect of Scrivener. Why can’t cards be stacked to reflect physical practice. I’m not concerned that cards can be moved to specific locations, although that would be helpful. It seems essential that many cards can become a few stacks of other cards to promote cohesion of anyone’s project. This type of stacking is essential to my intended use. I am involved in writing lexical taxonomy articles. As stated, I am a newbie with Scrivener and may have missed a software feature.

Unless you are referring to a visual stacking, you already can do this. Cards can be placed “within” other cards, and when you do so that will be reflected in the Binder outline list on the left. The two are tied together intrinsically, just as index cards are merely “fronts” for entire documents.

Yes definitely “visual stacking”. That is the point to see what the organization becomes. It is not enough to watch a second pane to see what the hierarchal organization becomes.

Interesting. I’m trying to think how such visual stacking could be implemented using the current metaphor. The cards/stacks currently automatically “flow” from left to right, top to bottom of the corkboard, which is logical, and prevents you from placing them anywhere on the screen (for good reason, since they represent a hierarchy, rather than an arbitrary arrangement).

If you could somehow click/hold on a stack to see its contents, how could the Corkboard be arranged to show the contents of that stack, without rearranging the flow or cards on the surface? It’d have to be something like Stacks in the Leopard Dock, which I don’t think is Leopard’s finest hour. Think about it; a stack of cards might have three items in it, or it might have three thousand – you need an interface that could scale between those scenarios. Merely seeing that hierarchy isn’t enough, though, is it? You’d want to manipulate it. I could see it getting so complicated that the Binder would look terribly inviting. :slight_smile:

It seems like over thinking a simple concept (yes the programming might be complex). This is similar to drill down concept on information technology dashboards. The index cards ‘accumulate’ other cards as the user drags and drops them. Perhaps the stack top card should always be a binder folder ?? This would provide a very fast, efficient, and visual method of organization & categorization. The distillation of the whole would create tight, logical project structure.

Oh, then I totally misunderstood what you’re getting at. You just want card stacks to accept drag and drop actions, then? I don’t see how this stops you from having to look at the Binder to understand the hierarchy, then, which is what your original point was.

Do you just mean “drop on”? So that you drop one card on top of another and it becomes a stack, the same as groups are represented in the corkboard now? If so, that is coming with 2.0.
All the best,
Keith

Let me try this from another direction. BTW, I am NOW a registered user of Scrivener! Yeah!

If I have 254 text files in the binder all under the Research folder. I create three folders to ‘file’ the 254 text files. Now, I would like to drag each file into its appropriate ‘filing folder.’ Except I can’t because the ‘filing folder’ keep popping open. This means an extreme amount of scrolling back and forth. And especially, I can’t visually grasp my organization in the binder since I can only see the all or nothing of the text files. The number of folders or bins is dynamic based upon the content of each of the text files. This issue could be resolved for me if a user preference setting controlled whether the folder pops open upon each drag and drop OR stays closed upon each drag and drop.

Essentially this is the way I would like the index cards to work as well. Some index cards would need to be ‘special’ to match ‘folders’ in the binder. The logical symmetry would thereby exist between the binder and the index cards.

The main issue is POPPING or NOT POPPING the binder folder open needs to be a user preference setting.
Then the index cards would visually STACK or NOT STACK (as currently) based on the same user preference setting.

As I work thru the online help with Scrivener I note that folder index cards are already visually special. They have a ‘stacking’ shadow.

I’m still investigating the group command. I’ll have more thoughts on that later. Mick

Ah, yes, this has come up before. 2.0 will have a preference for this - when you drop on a folder, it will automatically open, as you note, but in 2.0 there is a preference to have it close again straight after dropping. The drop-ons that will be allowed in the corkboard in 2.0 should also make this easier.

Thanks for registering!

All the best,
Keith

I have just come across this same issue (I think). I have a long research document from which I am dragging ‘chunks’ to various folders, in order to sort it out. The workaround I am using (based on a hint in another thread) is the following:

1. Split the screen - I have my source document in the left editor pane. The other pane doesn’t matter at the moment.
  2. Go to View > Binder Affects > Right Editor
  3. Drag selected text from the source document to the appropriate folder in the Binder

The right editor pops to the new document, but the left one stays on my source document so I can keep working. You could use the same method for multiple files by showing your source folder as index cards in the left pane, and dragging from there to the binder.

One quirk, which I assume will be fixed in 2.0 (?) is the inability to drag and drop text from the editor in one pane onto the corkboard in another, neither to empty space nor on top of an existing card. This seems counter-intuitive, especially as you can drag cards between panes when both panes are corkboards.

I don’t think this is a “quirk”. You can only drag binder documents around in the corkboard - you can drag from card to card etc too. The binder is the only place you can import data to create new documents (including RTF text). So this aspect remains the same in 2.0.

All the best,
Keith

Fair enough. That makes sense when you explain it that way. Certainly the cards are an excellent tool.

Could you explain how ‘dragging from card to card’ works please. I can’t seem to do anything but drag cards around. If I double click on a card and select text, then drag over another card, nothing happens.

Kind Regards,
David

Yes, you can’t do that. You would have to copy the text, then double-click into the other card and paste into it. There is only one editable text area at any one time - behind the scenes, what happens is that when you double-click on a card, an editor gets placed on top of it. The other cards are just drawn on (this keeps things fast). This is the same way most controls work. As I say, what will happen in 2.0 is that if you drop a card on top of another, it will create a stack, the dropped card becoming a child of the other one, though.

I have made a note to take another look at allowing import etc in the corkboard and outliner. The main reason I have it set up to have all this in the binder only at the moment is to keep things simple internally, too - to avoid duplicating code in lots of different places. I’ll take another look before 2.0 to see if I can add this without everything getting messy.

All the best,
Keith

Hey, I’m all for keeping it simple. Try to meet every desire of every user and you’ll spend your life in a tangle.

I’ve only been using Scrivener for six days and already don’t know what I did without it. Keep up the good work - and thanks for being so responsive on the forum.

David