Corkboard retains scroll position

I wish the corkboard would retain its scrolled position when I return from editing the contents of a story segment that I’ve accessed via a card.

I find myself using the corkboard when I’m structuring the story. A frustration is that I frequently scroll the corkboard for the card I’m currently working on: I double click to edit it, usually adding annotations to it to indicate the intended content of the segment, and then return to the corkboard.

Unfortunately, this means that I see the corkboard starting at the first card. I then have to scroll to find my card. Often the next thing I want to do relates to a nearby card, and I can have hundreds of cards at some points in the structuring process.

The other possibility would be an ability to write annotations to a card that would be appended to the end of the story segment, that I could edit and view from the corkboard itself, possibly in the inspector. But this is perhaps too focussed on my own working style.

Still, I think that retaining scroll from last time (as the story elements themselves do when I open them for editing) is a basic and important thing.

This is the only serious defect I can find in Scrivener, which is the best tool for writing I can imagine.

I do a lot of things besides write on my computer, including program, design and work on video. One of the problems with writing on a computer for me is that you’re always only a single mouseclick from endless distraction and other work, and losing focus is the worst thing for me. Like a room or desk devoted to writing, Scrivener, precisely because I don’t use it for anything else – and of course, because it is so beautifully designed and implemented – provides a focus that I have never been able to find since I stopped using a typewriter.

Wonderful product.

Hi,

From what you describe, the “Show in Context” feature of the next update might be useful to you. In the next update (out later in the year), there is a button next to the corkboard and outliner buttons in the toolbar which, when clicked, shows the current document on the corkboard amongst its siblings, with the card highlighted and scrolled to visible. So, you would just be able to use this rather than the “back” button. (The only reason this sort of thing isn’t maintained when using back and forward is that it is always a balance when it comes to deciding how much information to retain in the navigation, given that the navigation could potentially be remembering thousands of things.)

That said, I’ll certainly give your suggestion thought for the next update, too.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for that response. Very encouraging.

It occurred to me that another way thing that could work would be a contextual menu item or keystroke for cards that would say “View card in Split Pane”: if the window was not split, it would split it and display the contents of the card in the new pane. if it were split, it would replace the contents of the non-active pane with the contents of the card. I could then edit the contents, and have the other pane remain the current scroll of the corkboard (or outliner for that matter). No changes would need to be made to other navigation or functionality.

Best

Dan

Hi Dan,

You can already do that! When you’ve got the corkboard open, just click on the two arrows that appear beneath it so that they turn blue (“Automatically open selection in other editor”). That does exactly what you’ve just described. However, in the next update I’ve changed it slightly so that, if there is no split, this won’t automatically open. I found this behaviour rather disconcerting and annoying (as did other users) because if you closed the split and accidentally left that button on, then as soon as you selected a card, the split would reopen. So, in the next update, you’ll have to create the split manually for the button to take effect, but other than that it will still work the same.

You’ll also be glad to know that I’ve just spent the past couple of hours implementing your suggestion of having the corkboard and outliner remember which cards were selected the last time they were open (though of course, if you delete or rearrange some items in the meantime, the selection may not be accurate in that event), because it was a good suggestion.

All the best,
Keith

Brilliant on both counts.

Thanks so much.

Dan