Corrupted files on laptop sleep while Scrivener is still running

Hi, I’m a new trial user.

I have a new Asus model L203M 11" laptop with only a 64 GB SSD. Works great, still plenty of room on HD, but I try to keep as much data on the SDXC (micro SD card) that stays in the laptop all the time, mounted as the ‘D’ drive. Gives me an extra 256GB of space. Scrivener is mounted on the boot drive ‘C’.

Program runs fine. I set up the tutorial file in a folder on the ‘D’ drive, and it seemed to work fine. However, while working, I closed the lid on the laptop that puts it into sleep mode. When I woke it, the system reported that the file was corrupted. It wouldn’t open the tutorial or delete that startup file I had created, called ‘Tuturial.scrivx’. It would not let me delete, rename, or do anything to that file, including the folder that I had created it in. So, I opened a new tutorial file on that same drive and attempted to duplicate the error. It did, but this time multiple files in some of the subfolders under that tutorial folder were corrupted also. Again, could not delete or modify them in any way. The only way I was able to get rid of them, was to reformat the D Drive (SD card). Now all that being said, I did wonder if it was all due to it being a “removable” drive with possibly Windows not taking certain precautions with it going into sleep mode as it would if it was an internal drive. I guess I would like to know whether it would have done the same thing if the files were stored on the ‘C’ drive. However, I don’t want to do that simple test, because I wouldn’t want to have to reformat my boot drive just to remove corrupted files if it did indeed happen. I would like to know, before I take the leap to switch software for my writing my book. I would die if something like that happened from simply allowing my computer to go to sleep without first exiting the software. Can you help, please? Thanks in advance.

I found this post from 2014, and thought it had a lot of useful reminders, so I’m reposting it.

However, I still didn’t see anything that addressed the phenomenon I encountered.

Simply put, Scrivener open, file saved, no unsaved changes, so no drive activity, or at least I wouldn’t have expected any, close lid, computer goes into sleep mode for a few seconds, woke up, files corrupted and unrecoverable.

Again, this was running the program from the internal C drive, but the file saved on a ‘removable’ SDXC card ‘drive’. This doesn’t happen with other word processing software that I tested.

So, is this anything that is known to be an issue with devs?

If so, Is it on removable drives only?

If it’s a known issue, will it go away with the coming Version 3 for Windows?

I understand, now that I know that this happens, don’t do it (“hey doc, it hurts when I do this.” “Ok, so don’t do that”), but I would like to know if this is going to happen every time, and if it is prone to happen even on an internal drive so that I can be religiously fanatical about making sure my laptop never goes to sleep inadvertently while I have Scrivener open!

Has ANYONE else encountered this scenario, or am I an outlier? Thanks in advance!

Blue

Most probably it’s the SDXC card’s problem, not Scrivener’s. Check the forum for more info about SD Cards.

Regards,
M

Hi Deepblue962,

There have been related threads in the past, although I wouldn’t say they’re exactly the same.

This one also involved corrupted files:
[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/files-corrupting/34514/1]

This one has advice from L&L about working off SD cards:
[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/keeping-project-on-sd-card/37036/1]

This one turned into a super long insult-fest, but amidst the noise are some interesting discussions about SD card quality and risk:
[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/possibly-lost-everything/47371/1]

Hope some of that helps.

Best,
Jim

Thanks krastev and JimRac. I did do some more poking around on what you both suggested, and found it useful. I think it is just an issue with the way windows talks to these removable drives. I have a good quality sd card, so I don’t think there is any inherent problems with my particular card. I did finally test it with saving directly to internal drive and putting it to sleep, and convinced myself it won’t be an issue. I guess it’s better to just save and work from the internal drive and make backups to the sd, along with other cloud services. That seems to be working well. I was just trying to be stingy and save SSD drive space, but with about 14GB still free, I guess I can lighten up. :smiley: Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and purchased the software and am anxiously waiting on the new version 3 for Windows.

Blue