count documents? (not words or pages?)

Is there a way to get a count of documents included in my compile?

I see a document-count in the outliner, but it includes all the documents (many non-compiled “notes” etc). I tried sorting to isolate the compiled ones, but the Outliner doesn’t seem to count just the items I select.

Am I missing a way to do this?

(I’m trying to estimate page count based on unwritten sections in my outliner. I know about how big each section/document will be, but need a count of the sections, without all my notes.)

Briefly, this is what I’d do (please ask if you don’t know how to accomplish any of this):

1. Use the toolbar search options to look for “included” documents in your draft folder & save that search
  2. Select all the documents in the search collection
  3. Enter cork board mode
  4. If the cards aren’t numbered, turn that feature on
  5. Scroll to the bottom of the list of cards; its number is the number of documents that should compile (unless you’re doing something fancy with the compile setting to include/exclude more files.

There very well may be a better way of doing this, but it should to the trick.

That seemed to work pretty well.

When I kept the selections in the Binder and cleared the search, I could see and count the few it left out.

Thanks!

You could also create a second saved search for “excluded” documents in your draft folder, and toggle between the two to quickly see how many included/excluded files you have.