Couple of rookie questions: footnotes, end of page and text attributes?

Hi,

I’ve been toying with Scrivener for a while, but now it’s finally time to put it to use. I’m compiling an ebook out of short forms published in various media (web, portals, magazines, papers) over last decade or so. There are three things that are important for me and I cannot figure how to do them, so I allow myself to ask here:

1. Text attributes. In MS Word user can define that this chunk of text is body (or Normal), another is heading (Heading 1, Heading 2) or title. Then if I want to change font of all headings or the whole body of text, I can do it in one place, instead of manually correcting every paragraph and page. How can I do that in Scrivener?

2. Footnotes. One key thing for this ebook is the additional context that I can add to old articles or columns, after the years have passed. I would like to do it with footnotes, but there seems to be some problem, because they don’t show up when compiling to ebook. How can I add footnotes and preserve them in the final form of ebook?

3. End of page markers. This one is trivial, but I somehow cannot seem to find it. I am collating chunks of old forms and they all come together into one stream, page after page, not unlike James Joyce’s “Ulysses”. I would like to have proper end of page every now and then, though. How do I add them in Scrivener?

I apologise if these are something that every average user gets easily. I have been working with Word and Google Docs for last two decades and making a move to Scrivener is a bit uncomfortable at first. But I can totally see it can make my work much easier, because Scrivener lends itself perfectly to assembling a larger whole out of smaller fragments. I would really appreciate some help at this initial stage, so that I can make use of this software.

One more thing: I am not a native speaker. So if something is unclear, please ask, it might be that I am not explaining it very well, and I will rephrase it.

Kind regards,

Welcome to the forums and the software!

1. Stylesheets are not a concept Scrivener works with natively. That will be changing in the future, but I can’t really say when that will be. One special note however is that the two examples you gave are things Scrivener approaches from another point of view:
  • That body text can be transformed when compiling using the Formatting compile option pane.
  • That headings are not something you manually type into the text with some font settings; they are extracted from the outline structure in your draft folder, and again the Formatting pane is used to insert titles and format them centrally.
    The tutorial has a section that goes over the basics on these concepts, if you have not looked into that yet before.
  1. I’m not sure what you mean by an “ebook”. To my mind that’s a thing you load on a device like a Kindle or phone, where there is no page to have end of page notes on in the first place. We do support endnotes however, which is how most of the industry handles these in this format.

2. Again though, if you’re talking about ebooks that is not how they work. They do not have fixed units of measurement called “pages” because anyone can change the font size on their device and thus change how the text is laid out within the physical confines of the screen. Otherwise, in general, yes Scrivener can insert page breaks. As with formatting you will usually want to derive a break from the structure in the draft folder, using the Separators compile option pane. For special cases that don’t fit into an easy procedural rule (like all folders should generate a page break and chapter heading) there is the “Page Break Before” checkbox in the inspector for every item in the draft.

Keep in mind those tools can work with ebooks, but they are section breaks in that case. That is an important distinction from a page break in a word processor, which has no semantic meaning beyond moving text to another sheet of paper. A section break on the other hand is used to build internal table of contents and chapter to chapter navigation wiring in ebook hardware. It may not even be displayed in the way we’d think of a “page” break—that’s all up to the software reading the book.

Thank you kindly for your detailed replies, AmberV. Much appreciated!

It seems that I should wrap my head around different paradigms than what I was used to working with. I will go over the tutorials again - I did that long time ago and perhaps I need a refresher.

Thanks again.