Crafting Worlds

For almost pretty much as long as I can remember I have been building a world inside my head… a fantasy / scifi hybrid place that contains magic and science in various amounts (depending on which part of the world you’re standing at the time), I have tried to shape continents, countries, cities, and cultures over the years - and most of the stories I have scribbled down in the past have been set in this place. I guess it’s kind of like Tolkien’s Middle Earth, or Pratchett’s Discworld in that sense (though I wouldn’t even begin to think about dreaming about putting my writing alongside either of those two genre giants). A single living, breathing place that has a history, a sense of evolution, and all that jazz…

I just wondered if other people do the same? Is there one, single fictional place inside you that you return to time and again with story ideas?

EDIT: Oops, I should add (considering I’ve posted this in the What Do You Write… place) that I also escape from this world of my own making (wow, that just sounds so very egotistical… it’s not meant to be) to write other stories too, non-fantasy / scifi stuff… and screenplays for TV series that will undoubtedly never see the light of day.

I sort of do, but not in the same sense. I write an ongoing serialised comic, set in a world which had been simmering away in the back of my head for about 15 years before I started. And although the story is all one big meta-arc, it meanders and has diversions in order to explore the cultures and dynamics of said world in smaller, individual arcs.

So I guess it’s sort of like writing lots of different stories set in the same world, they just happen to all be published one after the other in the same ongoing title :wink:

Cool… I’m glad I’m not alone :wink:

As an aside, I’ve just checked out your stuff on Amazon, and ordered a copy of the first Wasteland graphic novel. Sounds very good - and anyone that gets high praise from Warren Ellis gets a big thumbs up from me.

Bless you :slight_smile: And WASTELAND was the series I was talking about, as it happens.

Excellent, I’m looking forward to reading it. Interesting premise.

That would be one of my goals with writing: bring a world to life. Not (just) because I can save time on researching existing worlds, because I think that’s one of the big possibilites with fictional writings.
The characters are still more important to me, though. :wink:
Until now, I didn’t create one myself. When I was a bunch of years younger, I threw a modified Kingdom Hearts-universe together (I never played that game) and my longest piece of work (which is still unfinished) takes place in the universe of Archimedean Dynasty / Aquanox.
At the moment, I’m still thinking about my next story - if it should be a novel or a concept album. If it will be a novel, I’ll put more time into crafting the world :slight_smile:

A world? You’re fortunate. I have several.

It gets particularly confusing for friends I tell about my stories, because I don’t even define fantasy terms the same ways between worlds.