Crash after running in background

I’m using Scrivener 2.7 on Mac OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks). I tend to have a few applications running at once, and I like to leave frequently used applications running in the background so I can switch back to them quickly and easily.

But I’ve found that after Scrivener has been in the background for a while, I can’t switch back to it. I click on it in the dock or use command-tab to choose it, but nothing happens. The only fix as far as I know is to force quit and restart.

I save frequently so I haven’t lost any writing because of this… yet. It would be maddening to have to quit every time I took a break from using the application. Switching tasks frequently and unpredictably is just an integral part of my workflow and life nowadays. And I don’t have this issue with any of the other applications I leave running in the background.

FWIW, I am not on El Capitan, and I don’t use Full Screen mode. I’ve seen those mentioned in connection with crash problems. I do use Scrivener’s Compose mode frequently.

Thanks in advance!