Crash index after update project

Hi, I saw several posts about it. My problem is after an update of the project can not open the file. The last thing I see is the window of “index progress”.

So, it seems I have to check the files inside of Files and then Docs to see all .rtf files.

Are there more solutions? I still have a copy of the old file before it was updated. Can I do something about it or that´s it, the only solution is open the rtf files, copy and paste into new project?

Thanks.

Problem solved. I found the file which was the trouble. Even I dance a little bit because the dumb action of move a file saved hours of work (copy and paste from a pdf).

But now my question how can I avoid this situation? A full back up of the file is not the answer.

Thanks

It’s difficult to be specific without knowing what was wrong, but generally speaking, this isn’t so much a problem that can be avoided as one that can just be solved when it happens, like you have. There isn’t anything you can do to avoid damaged files that are tripping up the software, other than never turning your computer on (and even then the files will eventually degrade thanks to the effects of good old fashioned entropy on your storage medium). :slight_smile:

So in that sense, yes, the best answer is regular full backups. That way if a file goes sour you can find a pristine copy of it elsewhere and replace it.

Hi, AmberV

After tried to open that file and last about 30 minutes deleting and adding files inside the package, until is open, I decide to create a new Scrivener file. Which is the best way to move the project? I rather not to copy and paste chapter by chapter.

Thanks.

You can drag and drop from one Scrivener project to another. There’s also an “Import Scrivener Project” command on the File -> Import menu, but that may not be the best choice if you’re worried about the integrity of the original project.

If you find yourself having to root through the project with Finder, it can be helpful to use Finder’s sort by date function. Quite often, the problem file will be the one most recently accessed. You can also use QuickLook in Finder to help you figure out what each file contains.

Katherine

thanks Katherine for your message.

However I know where are those damage files, but the problem is not always works delete them to open it. Today I have to delete and install those files again and again like 20 times until the project opened.

So, the best way is copy and paste the manuscript into a new project?

Thanks.

Again, you can drag and drop directly from one Scrivener project to another. That’s probably the easiest solution.

If you can’t open the project, you can use Finder to drag and drop from the old projects Files/Docs subfolder to the new project.

I’m not sure what you mean about “deleting and installing” files. If there is a problem file in the project, deleting it and then re-importing it will just cause the problem to come back.

This might be something best handled through our formal support system. Please email us at mac.support@literatureandlatte.com and include a link to this forum thread.

Katherine

As you said, I will write an email to support.

When my project did not open this morning, as I did other times I went to the project, right mouse and Find the package, then Files and Docs. I know which file is damaged so I select it, delete it and try open the project. Didn´t work. So I copied the file into the same place and tried to open the project. Didn´t work. Then I deleted it and tried again to open the project. I did this process for 30 minutes until I could open the project.

Thanks for your help, anyway.

I’m sorry, but I still don’t understand.

If you remove a file from the project, and the project still fails to open, then that file was not causing the problem. (Or at least it was not the only cause.) You could drag it in and out of the project all day without fixing anything.

Moreover, once you do identify the file causing the problem, importing it back into the project unchanged will likely cause the project to start crashing again. And putting it back into the Files/Docs subfolder directly (rather than using Scrivener’s Import function) is even worse, because now you’ve broken the connection between the project index and the actual contents of the project folder.

Katherine