Crashing Problem!

I tried to add some Web pages into the Research notebook section and I guess it was one too many (I think a half-dozen?) or there was something buggy with the page(s) because the program crashed. I’ve re-started my computer, tried opening the Scrivener doc (saved on Dropbox) multiple times, and this is what happens each time: a dialog box opens up that says it’s “Rebuilding search indexes… Indexing 34 - recovered file [34]” dialog with a blue-and-white-striped status bar that never moves and then the app quits instantly. [NB: I seriously had to try to open that file a dozen times in order to transcribe the error message above, so brief is its appearance on the screen.] Rinse, repeat.

Have no idea what was wrong with the web pages I tried to save but for the love of Pete, now I can’t access my work AT ALL?

Hi,

If you haven’t done so already, could you please zip up the project and send it to support AT literatureandlatte DOT com so that one of us can take a look at it and get you back up and running?

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

I’m having a very similar problem. I tried to print a large (240 page book) PDF to Scrivener. It hung at the very end of the process. I used forced quit. When I reopened it gave me the following dialogue box: “Repbuilding search index. Please wait.” Then the bar and under it, “Indexing 16 - Recovered file [16]”.

It never finished. I now have no access to all of the notes for my book at all. Any suggestions?

Hopefully,

John

The same as for the user above - could you please zip up the project and send it to us at mac.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com so that we can take a look?
All the best,
Keith

I will be glad to do so. Here’s some more information. Scrivener did repair itself (hurray) — creating a damaged folder and putting some doc called 16 in it. (Trying to see what it was crashed the problem.) Still, it’s great the software is working. That’s the good news. The bad is that I now seem to be having a problem backing up (to the default location). It either hangs or takes a very long time. Anyway, file coming your way.

Yours,

John

That sounds as though that file is causing the crash. I’ll look out for you in our support queue.
All the best,
Keith

You’re absolutely right. I took a look at the package myself and found a 2.2 gig file, identified as 16. This pretty clearly was the PDF I tried to save earlier that Scrivener choked on. It also was included in the back ups. It wasn’t showing up in my scrivener binder, but clearly it was still there. Once I got rid of it, the problem was solved.

Would it still be helpful for you to look at the file or no?

John

Glad you’re back up and running!

Probably not - I would need to see the PDF file, and at 2 gigabytes that will be a nightmare to transfer. It sounds as though the size of the file was causing the indexing code to choke, or perhaps even PDFKit itself.

All the best,
Keith