Create a second version of a project

Hi
I have just started editing my first novel. I regularly create backups but this is not really what I am looking for.

I would like to leave the original first draft as is and then create a copy of the project (in either the same or different binder), which I can then edit as much as I need as I potentially want to reorder a lot of the chapters / scenes. Taking snapshots would only work for each scene / chapter and may get confusing depending upon how many changes I need to make and wouldn’t help with the reordering.

The aim being that I can flip back to review the original versions at any point if I need to.

Is this possible?

I have tried ‘saving as’ a new project with a new name and closed the current project, but when I reopened it, the heading at the top had changed but the manuscript name in the binder remained the same.

Currently I am using Scrivener 1.9.16.0 (14 Nov 2019) and Windows 10.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Maybe you can try to double-click the name of the manuscript in the Binder and adjust it manually? This value seems totally independent from the project name and file name.

Hi Srebrnafh
Thanks for getting back to me. Sorted!
Yes, I have just done that, closed everything and then reopened Scrivener. Then realised that it had saved a different version (several in fact!) - I had just been looking in the wrong place. That is why the manuscript name was different, so have amended.
It all looks good, thanks.

1 Like

There are all sorts of approaches to the idea of preserving a draft before embarking on major edits. You’ve eliminated the idea of making a backup, though I’m confused as to why a copy made with “Save As” is any better? The menu File->Back Up->Back Up To… creates a backup, optionally .zip compressed, optionally with the date in its filename (by checking a box instead of typing it in by hand), and optionally with any edits you want to make to the filename of the project. The .zip option is helpful in that you don’t end up accidentally editing the archival version instead of the “main” copy…

Which brings me to option 2: Compile to PDF, and then import that PDF into your Research folder. That has the added bonus of being searchable, allows copy & paste, but is not editable, and is included in the project itself, so you don’t have to keep track of two or more different projects.

Hi Rdale
Thanks. So sorry, I missed this response. What I decided to do was compile and export as suggested.
Cheers,
Tereza