Create custom subdocument template?

How do you create a custom subdocument template? I’ve looked through the manual and cannot work this out.

I simply want a default template for each new subdocument that I create that has a default heading style ‘This is the heading’ and a default body text style ‘This is the body text’ – which I would then populate with text, without having to se the style for each each time I create a new subdocument.

How is this simple task done? Many thanks in advance. :smiley:

Document templates work on a per-project basis, so you’ll need to set them up for each project.

1. To find out which is your documents templates folder in your project, select Project > Project Settings… then tap the Special Folders item in the dialog box.
  2. If you find out that you don’t yet have a templates folder, make a new folder at the root level and name it – whatever you like, but most projects call it “Template Sheets”. Then go back to Project Settings and set it as your templates folder under Special Folders.
  3. Make a new document (lets’s call it Your Template) and set it up with exactly the formatting you want, just as you described it in your post. Move that document to your Templates folder.

Now you can create a new document from that template by selecting Project > New From Template > Your Template. OR, your can right-click in the outliner view, on the corkboard background, or on the Binder and select Add > New From Template > Your Template from the pop-up menu.

To make it even more automatic, you can select a folder in the binder, the outliner or the corkboard, and then choose Documents > Default Template for Subdocuments > Your Template. Now every time you add a text inside that folder, it will use Your Template unless you tell Scrivener otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Thank you SilverDragon!

That worked a treat. Slightly more involved than I was expecting (I would have thought a one-step ‘Set As Default Template’ in a drop down menu would have been more intuitive).

However, I can understand the rationale of setting up a dedicated Templates folder which can house multiple templates that may be drawn upon as necessary.

Thanks again for the prompt response!

If you use the sub-document title (name) as your heading and the default text style (set in Preferences) for the body text, you wouldn’t have to use a sub-document template. Or do you need many different sub-document heading/body text style?

You’re right: this way is more flexible, and once you’ve set it up, then creating a new template is simply a matter of dragging it into the Templates folder (or creating it in there).

In case you’re not aware, you can also have folders in the Templates folder as well, so you can for example, create a template called Week, with seven subdocuments (Mon…Sun) each with its own specific content and metadata (labels, keywords). You can then recreate entire ‘weeks’, simply by invoking the Week template.

OK, great – I can see how the added complexity actually adds usable functionality.

Getting the hang of Scriviner – it can be a little frustrating at first, but i think its simply due to the fact that the functionality is so deep.

In case you’re not aware, you can also have folders in the Templates folder as well,

Does anyone know if it is possible to set which exact document within a “folder in a template folder” is the default new item I get when I hit return? I want my folder set up available in the “+” menu (the folder represents a comic book page), but when I hit return I just want one of the included documents in that folder to be created (specifically, a document for each word balloon). The folder heirarchy is Page->Panel(any number)->Word balloon (any number). Currently, my Scrivene simply inserts another copy of the entire folder no matter what level I am at. I wish it would replicate based on the current level so I could easily have any number of panels and word balloons per page.

Not sure if this makes any sense. There are workarounds (e.g. duplicate a folder in the binder instead of using a template), but it would be great if this could work,

I’m not sure if I quite follow what you’re going for, but if understand you correctly, it sounds like you need to set up your template folder itself to have a default subdocument template. This concept is described and illustrated in the user manual, §7.5.2, Default Subdocument Template, under subheading, Cascading Default Template.