Created a new Scrivener Document, and it opens on all Mac devices except for my desktop

The document opens on my Ipad, on my Iphone, on my Mac Laptop, but not on my Mac Desktop.

Here is the message I get:

The document “Tucson Permaculture Design Course Spring 2023.scriv” could not be opened.

The project at “/Users/#####/Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener/Tucson Permaculture Design Course Spring 2023.scriv” seems to be of an older format, but no binder.scrivproj file could be found inside it. It may be missing or corrupt, possibly because of a problem with the device on which it is stored, or because of a synchronisation problem.

Try ctrl-clicking on the project in the Finder and selecting “Show Package Contents”, then look for a file entitled ‘binder.scrivproj’. Ensure it has not been renamed by a backup routine. If it does not exist, try restoring from a backup."

I tried the "show package contents and cannot find a “binderscrivproj” file. There’s no way to know if it’s been renamed by a backup routine. There is also no backup file in dropbox. I’m not sure why this is the case.

I created this on my laptop. As mentioned above, it works fine on my laptop, iphone, and ipad. I tested to see if they sync properly, and they do.

Thanks for your help!

Jay

Hello Jay, I am sorry to learn that you have encountered issues with your project in Dropbox.

Is this computer using either macOS 12 Monterey or macOS 13 Ventura?

I ask because that error is one we’re seeing a lot due to Dropbox storing projects in an “online-only” status. We have this Knowledge Base article with suggestions on the settings to change to correct this.

Yes, it’s Ventura. Some things have gotten messed up since I updated, I hope this isn’t one of them. I’ll check the article and see if I have any follow up questions. Thanks.

That worked. Thank you for your help!

1 Like