CreateSpace now has Matte Covers

You’ll get the email below if you’re the CreateSpace contact for your books. If you go through a distributor who prints though CreateSpace, you might want to read it and consider this new cover finish option. Quite a few CreateSpace authors have been lobbying for Amazon to add matte. It now has.

A matte cover finish diffuses the reflected light rather that being shiny like most book covers. I like it, but not everyone does. If you’ve got a CreateSpace account, log in and follow the directions below to make the change. It’s quite easy.

At the same time, you might want to add the new distribution options that Amazon has recently made free. I added CreateSpace Direct which does this: “By enabling this channel, you can make your books available to certified resellers such as independent bookstores and book resellers. The CreateSpace Direct program allows eligible resellers to buy books at wholesale prices directly from CreateSpace.”

It’s another channel, which may mean more sales. Just be advised that you won’t make as much money through that channel. One of my books, My Nights with Leukemia pays these amounts:

Sold online through Amazon: $5.68
Sold through the CreateSpace eStore (i.e. bypassing Amazon): $8.67
Expanded distribution including sales to other bookstores (sold wholesale): $2.69

If you’ve got fans who will buy your books wherever you send them, send them to the eStore. They won’t get Amazon’s usual discount and will always have to pay shipping, but you’ll earn a bit more and by buying direct they may get your book a bit quicker.

You can see what the standard eStore page for a book looks like here:

createspace.com/4410149

The CreateSpace eStore has a major advantage. When you send customers there, they won’t be distracted away from your book to another author’s book by Amazon’s ‘also looked at’ links. You control everything that appears on that screen. You can even add your own bookstore-like logo at the top if you like and treat it like your own online bookstore, with CreateSpace handling all the bother of billing, printing and shipping.

Here’s that email:

LSI/Ingram has had matte for about 2-3 years, so it’s good to see Amazon adding the option. And despite Amazon’s extended distribution, LSI/Ingram is still far better for reaching most bookstores. In fact, Amazon uses LSI/Ingram for that distribution.

–Michael W. Perry, My Nights with Leukemia: Caring for Children with Cancer