Creating a "dividing line"?

Is there a way inside Scrivener 3 to place a small noticeable black dividing line between the first “Manuscript Characters” folder, and the “My Untitled Manuscript” folder, and then again between the second “Manuscript Characters” folder and the “Internal/External Conflicts” folder? If not, is there a way to put the second set of folders (Manuscript Research, Manuscript Locations, Manuscript Characters) inside the “My Untitled Manuscript” folder. Please note that I have already attempted to do a drag and drop of these original folders into the “My Untitled Manuscript” folder with no success (these folders were created in the original “novel template” when I started this project, and they appear to be unmovable in the fashion in which I’d like to move them). My only other solution seems to be to move everything out of these original folders and create new folders, and there is a lot of content in each of those folders and I would like to avoid having to do that if possible. A little guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

This? Right click “My Untitled Manuscript” and choose “Show as Binder Separator”.

That’s not what I am wanting. I am visually impaired, and simply changing the color of the background of the title of the folder won’t work, because I would have to rely on it visually, and VoiceOver wouldn’t announce that there is a break between the folder suggesting which folder belongs in which group.

If what you need is an audible point of separator between elements in the binder, does making a new item and calling it “DIVIDER” suffice? That is similar to something I do as well—though I use dashes for the name, I would imagine with VoiceOver having the word “divider” itself would be more useful.

I think in general your next instinct, of oganising things into subfolders, is probably the better option all around. The three root folders, Draft, Research and Trash, cannot be sorted into other folders, though they can be rearranged on the top level and renamed, as you’ve done. That aside the only other special limitation is that the Draft folder can only hold text/folder type items. So if you’re trying to drag a folder that contains pictures or other media into the draft, that won’t work and you’ll get a warning message.

You should be able to put the locations and characters folders into the draft—but you’d probably only want to do so if you intend for the reader to have access to this information, perhaps in some form of appendix. You can also just delete them if you don’t need them, as there is one set that looks redundant.

Speaing of which you seem to have two copies of everything—perhaps the project was imported from another at some point? The first four folders in your list don’t have any contents, going by the subdocument count, so maybe the best way to clean this up is to get rid of the folders you aren’t using, and then drag the locations & characters folders into the research folder.

Well, what I wanted to do is keep the different parts of my WIP separate as I create them so that I don’t get confused as to what belongs to what. Since I can’t simply move these folders into another folder, I guess I need to find a way to incorporate my different parts into the original WIP folders in some way. Unless there’s a way to create more template folders. Is there a way to do that? I did get that error you spoke of and posted a new thread about it, as I was confused because I’ve never had an issue moving media before now. I created the new folders because I wanted to use the same setup that I originally used for the initial part that I had already created previously. They aren’t redundant folders, they were supposed to house everything that I needed to create the new part.

Oh okay, that makes sense then if you are writing a second book/part into the same project and want to keep everything together. The only thing I’d be wary of in doing so is that there is only one draft folder in a project. If you make multiple folders, calling each one some variation of “something draft”, and change the icons for them all, then it could get quite confusing when it comes time to compile. Compile is going to use the original dedicated draft folder only. It’s pretty easy to tell which is which: the Draft folder cannot have metadata, so its Inspector pane will be devoid of anything beyond project info.

I think a better approach is to put each separate manuscript into the Draft as subfolders. You could organise information specific to each part into subfolders of the main Research folder as well if you want.

You can only have one template folder, and it can be put wherever you want it to be, (I don’t know where yours is, it must be inside a folder as we cannot see it in your screenshot). The idea here is that what is a useful template (like an empty character sheet) for one draft would be useful to another, if they are both so closely related to be housed in the same project to begin with—but if you do need some different templates per part, assuming you aren’t writing more than one part simultaneously, I suppose you could have separate template folders for each, and as you transition from one writing phase to the next, designate which is the formal template folder in Project ▸ Project Settings…, under “Special Folders”. Myself I think I’d rather just organise things a little inside that template folder and ignore the stuff I don’t need, when using the Project ▸ New From Template ▸ submenu.

How do I figure out which folder within all of these other folders is the Template Folder? I am so confused right now, I feel like I need to just take everything out of this project and start a new one with a new organization system from the start.

Ultimately, the same way you would look for anything in a subfolder (Quick Search, Project Search for instance). But if you don’t know the name of the template folder, there are a few ways you could track it down:

1. From the Project ▸ New From Template ▸ submenu, note the name of a template. That will be a folder or file somewhere in your binder.
  2. Click into the Quick Search field (or use Control Option G) in the main toolbar and type in the name of the template, and press Return to load it.
  3. Now you’re looking at one of the templates in the main editor. You can locate anything you’re editing by use the Navigate ▸ Reveal in Binder menu command (Option Command R).

Or:

1. Use the Project ▸ Project Settings… command.
  2. In “Special Folders”, click on the dropdown where you would set the template folder up.
  3. That will reveal where the folder is in the binder.

Okay, I will try to do one of those things. Thanks.