Creating Custom Dictionaries for Windows

When I searched for this, it looked like all the developer responses were for the Mac version of Scrivener only. From what I can tell, Scrivener for Windows uses the Aspell spell check engine, and I am looking into how to hack that to do what I want, but it’s not making sense to me yet. (I promise to post it here if I figure it out :slight_smile: )

I write a lot of fantasy and some science fiction. I also have multi-lingual characters. Being able to maintain a project specific spell check configuration, as well as a list of words specific to that project for the spell check engine to ignore would be awesome.

I guess what I’m hoping to someday see is (1) something like the custom templates folder, where users can tag a file in a Scrivener project as a project specific set of custom words. I don’t care if the file needs to be comma delimited or CR/LF or tab, or what have you.

And (2) the ability to select more than one language to spell check against - again how that happens isn’t as important. I’ve seen some programs that have implemented the “text tagging” style (like MS Word, where you can tell the program “this text is Latin” and “that text is German”) or just checking or ctrl-selecting the dictionary files to check words against.

I am finding Scrivener to be quite excellent for my daily writing projects, and I am very happy with it.

Till then, the following may be of assistance. It’s a variation of a note I posted back a while.

Scrivener spell checking appears to work off of two dictionaries. Plus there is a word substitution feature.

The primary dictionary used depends on what platform you are on. Mac version uses OS X spelling dictionary. Windows uses Aspell dictionary. For more re Aspell, do a search of the forums for “Aspell”. It may be possible to update the Aspell dictionary, but looks pretty technical
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25897&start=0&hilit=aspell ). I thought I remembered there being notes in the Scrivener Aspell folder that discussed how to make changes to it, but I can’t find them now… Perhaps I’m recalling something on/from the Aspell web site.

The secondary dictionary is the Personal Word List, which is stored in plain text in a .ini file, which can be updated via the Learn Spelling feature or via Tools > Options > Corrections > View Personal Word List. A workaround, for doing bulk updates of the list, is discussed in
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=26203&p=170216&hilit=aspell#p169986

The word substitution list, which is stored in the Windows registry in some non-plain text format, can be updated via Tools > Options > Corrections > Edit Substitutions.

First i really like Scrivener, but i think the feature you suggested would make it a lot easier to use.
Just a specific list of words for every Document or maybe even for each subsection of a document would be nice, but its possible to work without.

I think a more advanced version of this would be much better, so to say a list of Words specific for your document, like names of characters, places, etc. and a seperate list for extending the language dictionary.
There are these great templates for those kind of things (places,characters,…) ,so why dont implement an auto-link feature bounded to that list of names and also all templates within the document. (maybe just as an option, because i dont know if this would be useful in every kind of document)
This would help people like me who have complex names and sometimes misspell them and would also help if you want to take a short look on what you wrote in the template.
My documents normally have hundred of subsections and folders outside the real draft with information e.g. about the world. The amount of time it takes to click open all the subfolders and scroll to the Character Template i need is slightly high. (especially with a small laptop)

MfG :slight_smile:

PS: btw the german dictionary is … kind of bad. Maaany words to add by yourself. (ca 2000 already)
Maybe it would be wise to switch to a different dictionary. Aspell seems quite outdated and if im not mistaken not maintained anymore. But maybe its just the german dictionaries in there.