Creating custom status assignments for Scrivener rather than just the current project

In the Inspector, there is that editable list of status assignments:

• To Do
  • In Progress
  • First Draft
  • Revised Draft
  • Final Draft
  • Done

You can edit that list an add custom ones for the project:

• Embryonic stage
  • Almost done
  • Kind of Done
  • Really Done and I Almost Mean It.

Is there any way to edit the default status assignments for Scrivener as a whole rather than having to do it for each individual project? (I suppose creating a template with custom statuses (statii?) would be a solution but I’m hoping to avoid that.)

Thanks!

Yes, you can do it with a project template. No, you can’t do it Scrivener-wide. Sorry.

1 Like

Ok, thanks! (Maybe add that to the Wishlist?)

Well, every Scrivener project starts with a template, even if it’s Blank, and the templates/project settings are where the statuses are defined. There isn’t a “Scrivener-wide” status setting, default or otherwise, separate from the templates. We would have to create one to accommodate your request.

If the choice is between creating an entire new set of options for Scrivener’s already very crowded global settings, or advising you to use the same existing mechanism we do? I don’t speak for Keith, but I’m pretty sure I can guess where he’d land.

1 Like

I understand! (A guy can dream. :wink: )

On Windows you can.
Expand you Binder fully: Alt+]
Not wanting to include things outside of Manuscript/Draft, since it won’t make sense in the bigger scheme of things, click on your first folder/file, then scroll to your last file, hold down Shift and click the last document. (The content of your whole Draft is selected.)
Alternatively, with your cursor on Manuscript/Draft, select Edit > Select > Select with Subdocuments does the same as above.
Next, right-click anywhere in the selection for the context menu and select Status from the list of options and make your Status choice, bearing in mind all your documents and folders in the selection will be changed to a single status you now choose.
This is handy when you have a Chapter and Scenes, where, for example, the Chapter is a folder, and the Scenes are files. Working in tranches as you build you work on progress, follow the same principle and update bits of parent and underlying content all at once.
I agree the best place to start is to pre-populate your template with defaults–in my workflow I have a template for a Chapter (Folder) and 4 x Scenes (Files) and pre-populated with differing aspects of default metadata. If I write less scenes in a chapter, I delete what’s redundant, if I need more scenes, I split the fourth scene and it carries over the metadata.

You can do this on the Mac, too, but this isn’t what the OP was requesting. You’re describing how to change status assignments within a single project, not how to customize the status list across all of Scrivener.

1 Like

As @kewms said, if you want to have specific status / labels for all new projects from now on, you need to create a project template.

But if you’ve already created a project, you can drag the status from one with the ‘correct’ status list to the ‘incorrect’ version.

Just have both projects open, each with its Project > Project Settings > Status list visible, select the statuses you want, and drag them across. Clean up by deleting the unwanted statuses afterwards.

This is usually quicker than recreating them from scratch, and it also works for labels and custom metadata. It’s also a good way to populate your new Project Template in the first place, of course…

HTH.

3 Likes