Creating LIVE LINKS to Evernote possible?

timdietrich.me/blog/scrivener-ev … ive-links/

I want to be able to do this (above) on Windows (10). I can’t seem to get it work because the URL only pulls up a link to a website browser. Nothing appears in the note.

Any idea if there is a workaround or if this is one of those features Windows’ version hasn’t caught up with MAC yet? :frowning:

The Mac version doesn’t store live links to web pages either. Whatever is happening in the video must be something Evernote is doing that allows some limited use of one’s data even in a static “offline” copy of the site. While the Mac doesn’t use PDF as a save format (there is a proprietary Mac format for saving web pages offline) the principle is in theory the same. It’s not a “site” once you save it, and if you click on links in it, it will open a browser.

Anyway, the important thing is that these are all just differences in development tools available to each platform. A competent Mac programmer could probably throw together a little utility that saves a WebArchive and views it in a few minutes. It’s a feature of the Mac, Scrivener is one of countless many that use it (and it can be buggy, too, even to the point of crashing Scrivener—not much we can do about that either—grass is always greener!).

Have you experimented with the other import options though? You might find one that works better for you. It sounds like you are using MHT? That’s a good format, but the tools we use to make Scrivener don’t have methods to display that file format. We will in the future though, so it makes a good format to choose if you don’t mind putting up with using a browser window for now. One day it will be more seamless.

EDIT: Nothing to see here. Any information in this post that was written by nom is either speculative, wrong, or (more likely) both. Now, move along to the next post where AmberV presents some accurate facts which are generally considered much more useful than inaccurate facts… :unamused:

I tried it in the Mac version, and it worked exactly as per the video and opens an active web browser window that shows the Evernote notebook as website within Scrivener.

Then I tried it in the Windows version and the behaviour is very different. Instead of showing a live website, there are only options to import the site. This is obviously an area that is yet to achieve feature parity.

:question:
I’m confused. Maybe I’m misinterpreting what you mean by “live link” but it is most certainly a “live site” on my Mac. The way I interpret the phrase is that when the link is clicked on in the binder, it retrieves the current content from the link website (which is what I would expect of a website link - it is, by definition, a link to content stored on the web). I even tested it by adding a quote from this thread to Evernote, then opening the link in Scrivener. The new quote was there, demonstrating that the content is not static, but is updated when the page is opened.

Sure, I didn’t mean to say the video was inaccurate, but my point was that whatever Evernote is doing in this page is not a typical experience with the WebArchive format. If you import a web page that you can modify online, say on a personal server, into Scrivener with .webarchive, and then edit that page with a new paragraph, the copy in Scrivener won’t change. It is instead a downloaded mirror of that page, like the MHT format does on Windows. The whole idea of the format is that you can capture pages in that moment of time and preserve them, so that even if in ten years the site goes down, you’ll still have that research available.

So speaking from a purist sense, what this technique takes advantage of is in a way a bug in the format in that it allows live data updates. For what the WebArchive format was design for, it is failing: it should be showing the data of the notebook as it was in the moment of saving it, forevermore. In this case the bug is temporarily useful, but what if in 15 years Evernote is no longer? The data you “saved” into Scrivener is gone because it was never saved properly into the archive to begin with.

But my middle paragraph is the key thing here, on neither platform are we programming these features, and when we say feature parity we are referring to how the software as a framework works, not 100% equality in how all of its systems work. These are development tools we are using to provide the features. We give them a front-end, menu commands and a nice interface so when you click on the thing in the Binder it loads—but the actual download, encapsulation into a format and display components are all external “software” embedded in Scrivener that we have no control over the particulars of (or the expertise to mess with if we could).

To put it to a comparison with another area, Scrivener on the Mac has text-to-speech synthesis and grammar checking. Why? Because even TextEdit has those things on a Mac (for those unfamiliar, that’s like saying even Notepad.exe has those things). We don’t have these features on the Windows version of Scrivener because there is no comparable system that provides those tools and it would take many years of research and development (and probably a few Ph.ds) for Lee and Tiho to make similar systems on a level that the makers of Siri have accomplished. :slight_smile:

This doesn’t always work out in the Mac’s favour. On Windows for example we can make use of a compatible installed copy Microsoft Office to produce documents. That is arguably better than the slow third-party Java converter we use on the Mac. But on the Mac side, we aren’t going to spend 10 years making a DOCX converter that is equal to the quality and speed that a Microsoft library can spit out, and for the same reason we can’t duplicate the efforts of Apple in their WebArchive technology on the PC.

Hopefully that all makes more sense. Modern software is made out of building blocks. If single-person development efforts like this had to make everything from scratch, we’d still be using software at 1980’s levels of sophistication. These building blocks let us do things we could never do, like spell check. The downside is we live by their limitations as well. :slight_smile:

Hang on a moment…

…OK, test complete.

So, what I didn’t realise (until now) was that it was supposed to be a webarchive. Hence, I agree that it is disturbing that updates occur (for all the reasons you state).

Based on the video, and then my subsequent experiments, I had assumed that only the URL was stored in Scrivener and that the content was being fetched live. However I just tried it with this thread and… I now know that I was wrong. Very wrong. A webarchive was created (of course, a simple check inside the Scrivener project would have told me that – but that’s not nearly so much fun).

As an aside, I have noticed in the past that some sites don’t convert well to Safari web archives. I’ve never investigated to work out what is in common to those sites, but it’s not unique to Evernote.

Just for the record, I tried “Add > Web Page” with a published Evernote notebook URL in Scrivener Win 1.9 (under Windows 7) in several forms, and none worked. Plain-text import failed entirely. MHT created a blank page with a link–which didn’t work either; clicking on it opened my browser with a message that Evernote needed JavaScript. Funnily, when I just paste the URL into a tab in that same browser, the Evernote page opens right up. PDF import via Webkit had the same result; PDF via MS Office created a page with the no-JavaScript message. Only PDF via IE created anything at all: a PDF with sort of the framework of the Evernote notebook, but no actual content. Complete bust.

I did find a limited workaround (in Evernote and Scrivener Windows, not Mac). In an Evernote notebook, select the notes you want to export to Scrivener; you can’t export a notebook as such. On the File menu, select Export, then Export as a single HTML Web Page. Download the exported HTML file anywhere on your computer. In Explorer, find the exported HTML file and drag it into Scrivener, under Research. Text and functioning links will come through. Images will not.

Whatever the bleep Tim Dietrich did to create his video, he was using some Mac utility that not everyone has, apparently not even on Macs. He should have known that and said so, IMHO.

Gwen Hernandez wrote some tips for importing Evernote notes into Scrivener. That might be worth a look.

So I tried the save as HTML and importing it from Scrivener and though it comes in, it’s not editable. Is that how it’s meant to be? In the import dialog box, it says it will come in as RTF, which should be editable? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Thank you!! Though I have some problems with editing the text brought in. See above…

In Scrivener’s Options, do you have “Convert HTML files to text” checked in the top section of the Import/Export tab? Without that, HTML notes that you save will still import as an HTML file, and not be editable in Scrivener. The conversion occurs during the import process, so ticking this option won’t affect anything you’ve already imported, but you can try re-importing the note to see the difference.

If that’s still not seeming to do it, could you explain a little more what’s happening when you try to edit the file after import? A screenshot of an example imported note in the editor, with the whole Scrivener window visible, might also provide a clue.

Not all websites are created equal. Depending on what the framework is doing and how the site is created, the actual site files could simply be a relatively light set of HTML/CSS/JS that is using Ajax or other techniques to download and display the actual content of the site via a secondary connection. Would the web archive toolkit correctly parse that?

MM, thanks for that tip. I find that it works just as you say, which will be a great help in future work.

What does not work at this stage of getting notes from Evernote into Scrivener is importing images, at least not directly. Indirectly, I can right-click an image in Evernote, open it, then save it as a file, and in Scrivener import it into the already-imported Evernote note (Edit > Insert > Image From File) at the appropriate point. Some images I seem to be able to open from Evernote, copy to the clipboard, and paste into Scrivener, but not others.