Cross-platform compatibility is not working.

I am using the latest version of Scrivener on Mac (2.7) and Windows (1.8.6.0) and the Windows version of the software is unable to open any of my existing projects. When I attempt to open a ‘.scrivx’ file the following error message is displayed:

The Project “testing” could not be opened.
The project you are trying to open was created or saved using a newer version of Scrivener than the one you are currently using. You will need to update Scrivener to open this file.
Try selecting “Check for Updates…” from the Help menu to look for updates.

This happens regardless of where the Scrivener project originated. I regularly switch between platforms and this problem is making it very difficult to continue using this program. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a simple solution I haven’t tried? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/1-8-9-1-beta-released-15th-sept-2015-closed/31226/1 :wink:

Same issue! I updated the Mac version this weekend, and then find today at my work computer that it can no longer open my files, and the proposed fix “check for updates” doesn’t work.

This is a serious problem. I do half my work on the Mac and half on the Windows machine, and by updating the Mac version this weekend I’ve essentially wiped out the Windows version.

Help, please.

Having the same issue. Didn’t realize upgrading Scrivener on Mac would make it so I couldn’t use the project on Windows anymore.

Any word for when this will be fixed?

The easiest solution is to run the current Windows beta version (see the link above).

The harder option is to restore your Scrivener application from backup (or find it for downloading on the main page here: ) and then go back to the version of the project that was backed up before you upgraded; it will lack any changes you made in the newer version, so you might have to export documents you worked on recently and import those changes somehow into the backup copy.

As noted in the Mac 2.7 change list, this new Mac release uses a new file format, in preparation for mobile syncing, and project created in or updated to 2.7 are not compatible with the current Windows release or earlier Mac versions. Windows will have a new release out soon that uses the new file format, and meanwhile there is a beta versions available for download from the link Mr. X posted above. The beta uses the new format and is compatible with Mac 2.7, and like 2.7 projects created in the beta or upgraded to that format will not open in earlier versions of Scrivener, including 1.8.6. The beta currently out expires 8 Sept, by which time a new beta version will be available or the official 1.9 Windows release will be out, so you will continue to have access to your updated projects.

Umm…

She meant October 8, the date specified when the “This trial expires…” box opens before the beta.

Whoops! Yes, I meant October. Thank you.

Thanks, that’s what I figured, but I had to ask. :laughing: Looks like some major changes are afoot, and I will wait to get the new version when it is officially released. (I only use the Windows version.)

Sorry for a bit of thread drift here: I gather that when I do update, each time I open a Scrivener project it will be updated to the new file format, and will forever after be usable only in v. 1.9+. I also gather from the 15 September 1.8.9.1 beta announcement that part of this conversion will be that “project.scrivx” files will be renamed to use the actual project name rather than “project.” In my usual ahead-of-the-curve fashion, I’ve been doing this myself for awhile. May I assume that files not named project.scrivx but something like Compendium of All Wisdom.scrivx will keep their names?

The .scrivx file will take the name of the .scriv folder, whatever the current title of the .scrivx. If you’ve been using the name of the project for the .scrivx all this time, it won’t look any different to you. If you’re using something else, I suggest renaming the .scriv folder to that as well, so you’ll be ready when the change comes. :slight_smile:

Thanks, that’s very helpful. This should be compatible with what I’ve been doing, but it’s good to be forewarned! Since this is a pretty major change, I hope there will be some guidance in the notification of the update, or a ReadMe file, or something.

“Guidance” in what sense?

I guess something like (a) be aware that your project.scrivx files are going to take on the name of their parent .scriv folders; (b) be aware that any custom-named scrivx files will also take on their parent .scriv folders’ names, so be sure those folders are named as you would like the project files to be named before you open and update existing projects.

Maybe excessive hand-holding…

Same Problem

My friend and I collaborate on our writing using Scrivener. I have the windows version he uses the Mac. He just updated to the newest Mac version. Now I cannot open any files he creates. I get the message,

“The project you was trying to open was created or saved using a newer version of Scrivener than the one you are currently using. You will need to update Scrivener to open this file.

Try selecting “Check for Updates…” from the Help menu to look for updates.”

I checked my Windows version and there are no updates. Is there a fix? As of now, we have to export all of our work to Word in order to keep working.

Don

Yes, the second post links to a discussion of the current Windows beta version, which you can download directly from there; beta versions are not downloaded via the Check For Updates menu item.

It’s inconvenient that they didn’t wait for the update until both platforms were done with beta testing, but I guess today’s release of the next Mac OS forced the issue. Hopefully they’ll release the updated Windows version soon.