[cross post] Looking for tip in marking areas needing review

Hi everybody, let me just say, thanks in advance. I’m a super new user, and I’ve just finished the tutorial (I spent the 3 hours really going through the tutorial in detail).

I decided to start using Scrivener because there were very specific needs I am starting to have that a word processor just wouldn’t do. I am writing fiction/novel in a straight forward, chapter by chapter, as consecutively as I can. If I have a scene that I want I will write it inside an “Open Scenes” folder, which I notecard with a lot of detail so I know quickly what that scene is and where I am to put it later.

Each chapter is a folder for me, and the txt files inside are labeled A, B, C…etc., which use to reorganize the scenes if I decide to later (of course many times A, B, C, will itself have a Bi, Bii, Biii depending on how complete the scene is).

One need that I am having is that sometimes I have a txt file, B for instance, where I have a description or a small scene that I know I want to elaborate on further, other times I don’t even have a small scene, I just know that I need to create something that draws, say two characters together. For whatever reason I just wanted to move on and I couldn’t write the scene then. What I’m looking for is a way to mark that document (or better yet, that spot) so that I can later on click a search for all the scenes that have “open char dev,” or “open scene dev,” or “open scene req” and work on those parts when I feel like messing around with the jig saw puzzle.

I’d presume that I could do this with labels or meta-data, but before jumping in, I’d like to ask to see how others handle something like this and what your suggestions are. I’m super new to this program so I know it will take me a long time to set it up for me precisely.

Out of the box, I think the “Status” meta-data field would work well for you. Its default set of options are already along the lines of what you’re describing, and their presentation (as a text stamp across index cards) makes for a good signal when looking at groups of scenes together. And yes, you can search by Status.

[size=80]Status displayed as “stamps” on cards[/size]

Really though, the user manual has a chapter on meta-data (10, starting on page 90) and that introductory section on meta-data types should help you find the best tool for the job. Status won’t be as good if you anticipate multiple reasons for highlighting a document. If it needs to be rewritten and have some more background research done to support it, then a tool like Keywords might work better.

Another approach that is more finely grained to the text itself rather than the whole scene is the use of comments or inline annotations (your proverbial red pen) in the text. Combined with a systematic text tag that you can search for, these give you an easy way to flag text as needing later review. I use a system like this myself, with very short codes like “RWRI” for rewrite. I recently described how I use Scrivener’s features to mark problematic text, in this thread (note it is a Mac thread so not everything said might match up, and the base question isn’t quite the same as yours so not everything I’m saying here is applicable, but the basics should hopefully prove useful in application to what you are working toward).

Cool, thanks, I will check out the section on meta-data some more. I’ve started to use Meta-data as a place to write questions that need to be answered in each section. Questions like, is the character’s motivation adequately expressed, is their past representative of their present, etc. I’m not sure if that’s a great way to use it for now, but we’ll see.

You are right though that I want a little more granulation indicating why a certain section is still in draft, because everything is in draft really. And yes, sometimes it’s more research that’s needed, sometimes it just more background, tangential storylines that need to be elaborated on. I’ll see if keywords would work for me. Thanks again.

I’ve been happy with inserting a line or note marked by three ampersands, as:

&&& Check on this or that fact

It’s such a distinctive text feature I can find it without difficulty or confusion.

I have changed the Label function in the Inspector to show the status, using different colors, and then show label colors in the Binder.