Cross-Project Presets

I have set up the Presets that show up under the Pilcrow for Title, Heading, etc to be the way I want when I am editing text. This includes Bold, Type Size & Font, Indent, and spacing before and after their paragraph. This was done with Format => Formatting => Redefine Presets and Format => Text => Line and Paragraph Spacing.

They look great when I am inputting text. However, in the compiled document I loose the font, indent, and paragraph spacing. I suspect that if I compiled “as is” they would work. But that would defeat the purpose of compile, if everything was compiled “as is”

How do I get these presets to work? I am writing a technical paper and I really need at least one level heading below the document title.

In the File -> Compile -> Formatting pane, uncheck the box to “override text and notes formatting.”

However, the more “Scrivener-like” way to manage multiple heading levels would be to place each section or sub-section in its own Binder item, and apply the header formatting via the Compile command rather than in the main editor.

Katherine

I’m trying to keep the Formatting Pane simple. It is a pane to have to tweak the fonts in 20 places when you decide on a body type font and size. I sure wish that there was an easy way to examine exactly what font and font size was being used in a sentence or heading of a PDF file. It is tough to know if the font you have selected is the one actually being used. I created a Word doc with several type sizes and fonts and try to use it to compare — Not a great way ;=}

Meery Xmas — thanks for responding

But that’s EXACTLY why it’s better to do things the Scrivener way – use a separate document in the binder for each (sub)section. Ie: to get the best out of Scrivener, each chapter, section and subsection (and more layers if you wish) has its own document indented appropriately in the Binder.

What happens when you have to produce something where the headings need to be in a slightly different font?

Your way, you have to go through every document in the project to change every heading. If you use Scrivener as it’s designed to be used (as Katherine suggests), at worst you have to make a change to every level (and usually you don’t, because each level can inherit formatting from above. i.e. a Level 2 document heading can inherit every detail from Level 1, whilst changing only the font size). Documents don’t often have more than 3 or 4 levels.

Say your book has 10 chapters each of which has 10 sections, and each of those has 10 subsections. You have to change the format of 1000 headings – and if your publisher’s requirements change, you have to do it all again. You can make it simpler by using Search by Formatting, but it’s still a pain and it’s subject to user error.

If you do it the Scrivener way, you have to make 3 changes at compilation time… once for chapters, once for sections, and once for subsections. You can then save the settings and reuse them.

You will really save yourself a lot of time and effort in the long run if you explore how Scrivener is designed to do this.

(Of course, there are some circumstances where formatting in the editor and compiling ‘As Is’ is necessary or more convenient – but for standard use, it’s really worth getting to know the basic process.)