Cross-reference/figure/table list

Hi,

I am a new aficionados of Scrivener and I am fighting over myself to switch my thesis into it. I am now using Word since my university gives us a template with all the formatting.
I am fighting with cross-references in Scrivener.
I have look at the placeholder tag list and I have seen that a cross reference can be done by creating/using the appropriate tag. And so, I can do a first cross-ref for tables and figure.

But I need, that is my university requirement, a table of figure and a table of table, just like a TOC. (figure/table number, figure name, page)
That is more tricky that the figure/table numbering/referencing.
The TOC generated by Scrivener only use the folder/chapter/document name with a special search and copy/paste.
A search gives me only the document where the tag is and I cannot use those result to construct the table of figure/table.

I would really like a idea on this.

Thanks,
Chris

I would leave the generation of both ToC and ToT until after your final compile into Word - this allow will more detail and nuance into how you prepare them.

The ToC can be done by converting all your headings into styles (in fact, I would convert all your text into styles once imported into Word). Word can then automatically prepare a ToC based on your Headings.

Same can be done with a ToT - if you set a style specific for Table titles, then (from memory, apologies if I’m remembering incorrectly) you can create a second “ToC” in Word using only those Table titles. Same again for Figures. If Word will not allow multiple tables of contents (or equivalent) then I think EndNote can prepare a list of Tables.

Note: I wrote my doctoral thesis in Scriv and prepared final the ToC in Word. I ended up not using separate lists for Tables and Figures as they were optional at my university and I only had a few of each - insufficient to justify using additional lists (decision made after multiple conversations with my supervisors and close scrutiny of university submission rules and discipline style requirements).

Thanks Nom,

Agreed to let the final ToC, ToT and ToF until the end into Word.

Thing is, in order to use the proper university style, I will have to use their template.
Actually, I was thinking of writing into Scrivener, and after the import into Word, via RTF format, I will do manual copy-paste into the template and do bunch of refine copy-paste into the designate style and part using the plan mode from Word. Tedious but manageable. Then I will change the figure style into proper caption (figure and table), the proper cross-ref numbering would have been done by Scrivener MMD.

I founded this method (michealaxelsen.com/blog/?p=2989) that use a macro in order do the change the style a bit more automatically, but I am not that the macro works properly.
I just post the like if it could help some…

The easiest way to convert to styles in Word is to use slightly different formatting presets (as Style equivalents) in Scrivener and then do a search and replace for each combination of formatting features in Word to convert to specific styles. Use different typefaces or point sizes, even colour, to make this easier. This will be a lot easier than cut and paste by section.

Further, you could go through your university template and generate styles for their different headings etc (if they don’t have styles already generated) and then uses these styles for your own thesis. This has the added benefit that, should you need to compile anew after you thought you were done (highly likely given my experience) then you will have all your styles ready each and every time. This could save several hours, if not days (depending on how many “final” drafts you end up with), over time.

FInally, I’d export to .docx, not .rtf, when exporting to Word as Scrivener now exports to native docx. Only revert to rtf export if things don’t go well.