Ctrl + Z Undo/Delete formating issues in script mode...

Hello all. Got question about v2.0.5 that couldn’t track down an answer for after searching… :question:

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced an issue in screenplay mode where if you accidentally hit the delete key one element too far on single line or chunk of screenplay element…

(e.g. you accidentally delete a ‘Character Name’ thus bringing the cursor to the end of the preceding a chunk of Action)

…Ctrl + Z undoes the delete but does not set the element back to how/or what it was formatted as prior.

(e.g the Character name delete is undone but it is placed back into the script as an All Caps action element )

This seems to be the case for me whenever the preceding screenplay element is different than what has been deleted. (e.g. character -> action, action -> dialogue, dialogue -> character.) Everything then needs to be selected manually & reformatted back into whatever it needs to be thus slowing down the process considerably.

Is this a known issue that may possibly be addressed in the next update?

Hi,

Some issues similar to this have been fixed for 2.1, but if you can provide step-by-step instructions on how I can see the bug for myself, that will help me confirm that I’ve fixed it.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for the speedy reply Keith. Basically to replicate you need to write a chunk of screenplay…

[b]A smokey exhale curling from his nostrils, Kenji crosses solemnly into the path of the BMW Xenons.

KENJI
(eyes lifelessly stoic)
Show me where you took your last breath my love.

The cig glows in the corner of his lips as he stoops to a kneel. His fingers caress a set of tire skid marks still painting the pebbled asphalt. The paralleling lines draw a swerved path a into a recently repaired section of bridge railing.[/b]

Put the cursor before KENJI…hit DELETE…then hit Ctrl + Z…and you should see what I mean.

Also in the process of correcting the aforementioned glitch this I’ve noticed another glitch that occurs when use the cursor to attempt to move an incorrectly formatted screenplay element backwards into its rightful place.

e.g. take a paragraph formatted as action but supposed to be formatted as dialogue…delete the chunk of text backwards up towards a Character Name/Parenthetical that is missing dialogue the element being shifted backwards does not pick up the expected ‘dialogue’ formatting but rather just latches onto the last completed element, in this case the parenthetical, and becomes an extension of it…

KENJI
(eyes lifelessly stoic)

missing dialogue

Show me where you took your last breath my love. incorrectly formatted as ACTION.

…when the “Show me where you took your last breath my love.” is backspaced into the area that should be dialogue it latches onto the parenthetical element and becomes…

KENJI
(eyes lifelessly stoic)Show me where you took your last breath my love.

…instead of formatting as the missing dialogue…

KENJI
(eyes lifelessly stoic)
Show me where you took your last breath my love.

This is interchangeable and can be duplicated with any of the other elements as well.

That last looks right to me - I don’t see anything wrong in that behaviour; rather it looks as though you backspaced into the parenthetical line. Remember that the empty lines aren’t really empty lines but rather “paragraph spacing before”. So in your example you shouldn’t backspace but rather you should just change the formatting of the “Action” element to “Dialogue”.

Regarding the other stuff, there will be a new beta available in the beta testing forum in the next day or two, so I recommend checking it out to see if it helps.

All the best,
Keith

Basically in my slacker/theorizing mind it seemed logical that the software would recognize when a parenthetical is closed and/or that an all-uppercase character name should not be amended with a unhyphenated 10-word lowercase addition. Both being quirkly writing styles that would get a screenplay tossed to the trash faster than an agent could hang up his Bluetooth as he rolls around in his Mercedes in LA. Lol.

Perhaps I was getting ahead of myself. My bad. But if good writers can be out of work while Charlie Sheen is still “winning” and non-talented nobodies can become reality TV stars anything is possible, right? Hehe.

Thanks again Keith. Will have look at the beta.

Noticed another Ctrl + Z issue…again not sure if anything can be done.

If you accidentally delete/backspace a chunk of Dialogue or Action into the line of Character Name, Scene Heading, Transition elements the text is re-formatted to take on the All Caps style of the aforementioned.

Hitting Ctrl + Z undoes the accidental carriage return and sets the element back to what it was prior but for some reason the text maintains the All Caps formatting regardless

This leaves you with only the option of either re-typing the Action/Dialogue over again, or as I’ve done…highlighting the block of text and using my Cmd + L custom app shortcut to trigger the ‘To Lowercase’ function. However this method is also flawed as it sets all the first letters of sentences, character names, formal titles, locations, acronyms, etc. all to lowercase as well forcing you to manually amend each word.

Can this be fixed?

This is one of the things fixed for 2.1.
All the best,
Keith