Cursor Position / Bookmarks?

Hi all,

Just wondering – I have a large RTF file (about 580 pages), a novel with chapter and scene breaks every so often, and I’m wanting to transpose it into a Scrivener project. I’ve created the project, “The Reality Engineers”, with a Draft of the same title in it, with a series of folders inside the Draft, one for each chapter of the big rtf file. So, what I’ve been doing since then is selecting a scene with the .RTF file, then cmd-c copying it, creating a new document inside the designated chapter folder in the Draft to hold it, then pasting cmd-v pasting the text of the scene into the file. Very laborious.

But the problem is – every time I change the Binder’s focus from the .RTF file to the Draft or one of its subfolders, and then I switch back to the .RTF file, tthe cursor’s position is reset to the top of the file, instead of being where I last left it. So, my questions are:

(1) Is it possible to set something like “bookmarks” in the RTF file, perhaps one for each chapter or scene break?

(2) Is it possible to automate, even partially, this cumbersome and repetitive process, especially if (1) is not possible?

Bear in mind, I’m not fluent in AppleScript, if that’s what the latter would require (is Scrivener even open to AppleScript and Automator?). So if that winds up being required, could someone please show me, step by step, what to do and how to do it?

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood what you’re after, but is there any reason why you can’t:

a) File > Import the rtf, then

b) Go to each Chapter / scene in the rtf and cmd-K to split the document or opt-cmd-K to split with selected text as the document title, then

c) go through the binder, demoting scenes under each chapter as appropriate?

If you are able to amend the original so that each chapter or scene starts with standard text (e.g. “Chapter” would be fine, I think…), then you can investigate File > Import > Import and Split, which allows you to identify a marker for automatic splitting: perhaps this will give you a good headstart, although you’ll probably have to tweak afterwards. Still, a lot better than all that copying and pasting…

Hope I haven’t misunderstood what you need.

Or better yet, just use File > Import > Import and Split to import the RTF and have it automatically separated into your sections. You’ll need to have some kind of identifying marker separating your scenes in the RTF that Scrivener can use for this–e.g. if you’ve put a # or * * * or such, you can use that, or even if you always have two empty lines to divide scenes (and don’t use double blank lines elsewhere) you can tell Scrivener to split at that point. The RTF will then get imported and broken into multiple documents in Scrivener’s binder, each titled based on the first line of its section.

I transferred my novel by working on a duplicate RTF and cutting rather than copying, that way the the start of the next selection is always at the top of the file.

Thanks guys. But what I wound up doing (before I discovered Split around the same time you must’ve been telling me about it here, LOL!) was opening the RTF file in a QuickReference panel, and then cutting and pasting from that, since it floated on top and remembered its position in the file. Trouble with Split was that I have both chapter (page break) and scene (numbered within chapters, and double carriage returns between), and I wanted the chapters to become folders, the scenes to become individual documents. Thus, I had to go the long way around, though I can certainly see where Split would be useful! (And if there were a more comprehensive version of it, sort of like a “reverse compile”, then wow . . .)

Split your document so all the Chapter Headings are empty documents - i.e. split at the beginning of the Chapter line, and at the beginning of the next line of text.

Chapter 1
Scene 1
Text
Scene 2

Chapter 2
Scene 1

etc

You then have a flat list of documents, of two types - the Chapters which are empty and the Scenes, which have text.

Select all the scenes in Chapter 1 and demote them in the Browser (Move > Right, or simply select them and drop them on the relevant Chapter). Select all the scenes in Chapter 2, demote them, etc.

Finally, highlight all the empty Chapter files (cmd-click on them), and convert them to folders.

This is probably easier to do than to describe!