Cursor Problem in Scrivener

Hi,

I was working in Scrivener today when I noticed that my cursor had gotten very slow. I went to Control Panel Mouse and Keyboard to fix it, made some adjustments to the speed, but then changed it back to what it had been originally. There was actually nothing wrong with the setting.

Now, however, my cursor is doing something very strange. When I try to delete, I press and hold down as normal but, instead of seeing the characters as they’re removed, it appears that nothing is happening. As soon as I take my finger off the button, a chunk of text disappears. :open_mouth:

I don’t know if this is a bug and if I should be reporting it in the bug thread. What I do know is that it seems to be Scrivener-specific. I tried Word and my email program and had no problem.

Here’s the info re: my system. Hoping someone can help.

Thanks,
Jane

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3061 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 101590 MB, Free - 32292 MB; D: Total - 10236 MB, Free - 1488 MB; F: Total - 362472 MB, Free - 362371 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., , , .91NXWD1. .
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Hi Jane -
I noticed this myself and it took me forever to figure out – go into preferences and set the autosave setting from whatever it is to something much larger like 300 (thats five minutes)… that solved it for me… and ive gotten intlo the habit of saving using the shortcut though when im really cruising and really happy with what ive gotten on the page… which isn’t nearly as often as i like, but at least using the shortcut forces a save, that way if the power goes out in four minutes you aren’t screwed. The power here in Florida goes out every time somebody in a different area code farts.

Anyhow that worked for me… If you use the block insertion point, keeping it at 12px or less is also going to speed things up a lot because you have to remember (and nobody thinks about it) but im the one that asked keith to put that into the mac version because of vision issues and bless him he actually did… the trade off is that no matter what computer specs you have, every time you type something it has to redraw the square in a different place - which can bog things down as welturning blinking off helps as well, but you may not use a square cursor. you also have a relatively small amount of ram so if you have lots of stuff open things will slow down (but i wouldnt give up the square cursor for money… (but thats me being compulsive) i have 8 gig and that makes things much faster than they would be with three - optimally you want an even number of RAM and that number spread accross an even number of spaces… put them in the wrong place and the system wont boot. buying RAM is cheap… but if your not good with tinkering with your computers guts have someone qualified do it, because you can fry your system if you dont take the proper measures, and even void the warrantee . o~0
v

cheers and i sincerely hope i helped
Chris