Custom Character Template export/import/install

I’ve made a custom Character Sketch Template for a class I’m teaching this month. How do I save it (only the document) so that it appears in the Template Folder for later projects “Character Template 2” or something.

I’d like to do something similar with a new Setting Sketch too.

Similarly, I need to know how to export my template so they can download it from a website and then install it into their Scrivener.

Help… under the gun

1. Drag any document into the TEMPLATES folder and it automatically becomes a template. You can export individual template files (File > Export > Files). If your students want to import a single document into their TEMPLATES folder, drag and drop (for example, from their desktops to the TEMPLATES folders in their binders) is their friend.

2. If you mean project templates…

I’m lost. How do I get to the “Template Browser Window?”

That’s for project templates (not document templates).

File > New Project

OR

CMD SHIFT N

So it’s the whole shebang? I have to remake the entire “Novel” or “Short Story” template just to get a different character sheet to come up?

So I should open a clean “Novel” template, for example, and make changes and save as new template? But when I choose Character and new, I get the old character sketch template.

You can just add any file to the templates folder and it becomes a template for that project.

If you want to have that document template in another project, you can export it from one project and drag it into another.

You just need to choose Project > New From Template > AND THEN SELECT THE NAME OF YOUR NEW DOCUMENT TEMPLATE.

If you want the document template to automatically appear in a new project, you need to create a new project template by starting from scratch or tweaking an existing template.

Editing an existing template and including your new character (or whatever) document template, then saving that project as a new project template (I assume a unique name must be needed to stop Scrivener updates overwriting edited templates with its own revised standard templates) should mean that new projects created from your new project template should have your new document template embedded.

Ah…! I see. I was WAY overthinking this. I get it.

Thanks!

Hope it works as you want it to.

Good luck.

Spent most of today refining and combining my own custom character template. The items are taken from various posts in NaNoWriMo’s forums and helpful links given by people there. Also some web sites including an online Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator questionnarie. I’ve used parts of this template over the years as I’ve collected more questions so most of the effort was in making sure the master copy contained all the little tweaks.

For fun I File > Compile the Templare today. It creates a 22 page A4 document … for the questions! Now it’s updated I need to spend time prettifying it because all the text is in the same font at the same point size and with no headings or rules or tables.

The master version is in a separate Scrivener Project. I drag and drop from that Project to the Project for my novel. (As Briar said dropping it in the Templates folder in the Binder.) Animus you could try this with your students. Give them a copy of the Templated Project and have them drag and drop the Template in to their own novel Project.

I followed the advice below and, indeed, the document template becomes what it should be (not necessarily intended), but the character template (intended) is not changed.

So, again the same question: How can I change the Character Sketch template for all present and future projects?

Not sure what went wrong, but maybe this will help:

In an existing project, what you get when you create a new doc from template “Character Sketch” is determined by a document of that title in the Document Template folder in your project. Change or replace that document and you will change what happens when you create a new doc from template “Character Sketch” when working in that project.

To have your custom character sketch come up in future projects, you need to create/adapt a new project template that has the above already going on, and then when you create your new projects, create them from that project template. This is what Briar was describing to you.

–gr

Many thanks, GR, much appreciated.