I’m new to Scrivener 3, and right now I have three projects on the go. I saw in the Project Settings tab that I can set it so that each project backs up to their own custom folder. I have done this, but it seems that the global setting still overrides the project settings, and saves all the backups in the main backup folder.
I’m not sure if I am doing something wrong or if this is some sort of error. Any thoughts?
The only thing I’m aware of that would cause that to happen is if the designated backup folder does not exist. In that case Scrivener will fall back to using the central backup folder.
Other problematic scenarios will produce warnings. For example if the working project is stored in its own backup folder you will be warned when loading it, but backups will still be operational. If the folder does not have read/write permissions then you will get a warning when a backup is attempted, and it will simply fail rather than using the central location.
The folders are there. I can move the backup files into them manually, so they seem to be working ok. And if I set the global setting to the project folder, then it works fine, but it also puts the backups of the other projects in that folder.
It’s strange that it just reads the global setting and seems to ignore the custom project setting.
All right, I take it from Apple’s odd double-negative statement that you’re using the version sold by Apple, through the Mac App Store? Otherwise sandboxing will be irrelevant. This really should be happening automatically when you select the backup folder (in itself a declaration of permission to use this folder), but let’s double-check to make sure:
Use the menu command Scrivener ▸ Authorize Folder Access… menu command.
Manually add the test backup folder location with this tool. Optionally: select your entire user folder to give Scrivener unfettered access to your files.
Save these settings and then try to save a backup from the test project.
As a test – to check if Scrivener can access the custom backup folder at all – can you get Scrivener to use the custom folder for all of your backups, i.e. setting the custom folder to be the default backup location in the main Backup preferences? If it works, we will know that Scrivener can access that folder and that there isn’t a general problem with permissions (you can always reset the backup preferences afterwards).
If DreaCros has upgraded from S2 to S3, is it possible that an old preferences file is holding sway, similar to the issue described in this post:
No problem! It’s what I do. This is a weird problem as you might have guessed, so I’m trying to narrow it down by looking for any clues. So far we haven’t found anything terribly useful, unfortunately.
Although I think we’ve eliminated any sandbox weirdness. There is one other measure we should try along those lines:
Rename Scrivener in your Applications folder, like “Scrivener-MAS”, and then download and install the direct-sale version.
Run that by double-clicking from Applications, and verify you are running the direct-sale version by checking the Scrivener menu. The “Authorize Folder Access…” selection we used before should be missing (the direct-sale version isn’t sandboxed and doesn’t need it).
Install that into Applications, and to start with I’d leave things factory default with the backup folder set to the Library folder, where it suggests. You can open up that location from the Backup pane.
Next do the same test as above with the “Test” folder on Desktop.
We’ll have to check and see if there is a general problem with the App Store version in that case.
If it doesn’t work, then feel free to switch back, by removing “Scrivener” and then renaming “Scrivener-MAS” back to “Scrivener”.
It’s not a bad idea, but in that case it wasn’t Scrivener using the wrong preferences (I don’t think that’s possible) but macOS itself, specifically for how it stores and sets custom keyboard shortcuts.
That aside I think the main problem here is that individual projects are not storing their backups where designated, and are using the main custom backup folder in Preferences. So that part should be working fine on its own, it’s the ancillary backup location that is being ignored.